Strange Problem--help!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Strange Problem--help!!

After clicking on a link from a web site something started to download and I tried to stop it but I guess it got through. I ran AVG but if found nothing. The following problem appeared:

As you can see the letters are blurred, etc. and some pages like google come up different looking, as if the letters are compressed.

Another result of this was that the sounds returned that I had muted before.

I tried locating everything connected to fonts but can't correct this. The drivers check out OK according to device manager.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Ther blured text might because what ever you downloaded decided you needed to use clear type. Right click your desktop go to properties and click the apperence tab and the click the effects button. There should be 2 drop trays in the second one if it says clear type, click the down arrow select standard. click apply or ok. I'd use Ad Aware or Spybot to find out what you downloaded and get rid of it. Because it sounds like you might have gotten some spyware of some sort.

Old 06-25-2004, 05:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks heavywx, but that wasn't the problem. I went into display to change the DPI to 115% and it made the web pages' fonts normal -- and no more blurring -- but everything else is bigger!! How the hell??
Old 06-25-2004, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I went to the microsoft update page and it's smaller print was blurred. I'm thinking of restoring/repairing IE as with 98 but I guess that doesn't work anymore with XP??

I even got desperate and tried the recovery CD that the guy gave me with this computer but I get a message "this is not for this computer"???

???? I'd hate to get another computer again, but can't stand this video problem.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-25-2004, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

GOT IT!!!

THE BLEEPING THING, WHATEVER IT WAS, CHANGED THE TEXT IN THE WEB PAGES TO "SMALLEST!"

That was it!

THANKS!
Closed Thread