Strange & Debilitating Firefox behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
Running Firefox 2 (2.0.0.6)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6
Windows XP Professional SP2

Lately firefox has been behaving erratically... all day today when I try to view a page, it will often pick one single element (be it an image, segment of code, or even the session cookie), and display that and only that on the page. I often get cookies (in plaintext) for the site in one tab, displaying as a different site in another tab. I also get parsing errors, such as with google, when I search for some text string, and it parses it as a segment of an unknown URL from another domain (like google could not find "/avatars/karkian.jpg" ??). I also get a lot of false 404 errors, or pages that get stuck in limbo while loading, and the reload button stops working. Many images are not loading, or loading wrong (i.e., the 'submit' button will instead show a forum logo, icons and preview images are swapped around, etc.).

It does all of these things seemingly at random, and an ever increasing percentage of the time. At this point I'll be very lucky if this post goes through the first time I click submit.

Anyone know what's up or how I can fix it?

EDIT:

Second try here... the first try gave me this window:
capturedo7.png

EDIT 2:

Second try produced this page (plain text, censored cookie data):

Code:
GET /view/719994/ HTTP/1.1
Host: www.skycommand.org
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6
Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive
Referer: http://forum.skycommand.org
Cookie: sessionid=****************; userid=****

Wow, very strange. I myself never really had a problem. Could I suggest the problem being...extensions, bad code for 2.0.0.6?

Woah, wait a minute, something is definately wrong with that download box, right? That must be an extension, I never seen anything like it.

I myself, never like to use extensions because I don't trust how they are made, really though, it probably is an extension...or some weird "hey let's screw with this guy" virus.

The color is from RedShift2, my Firefox skin of choice. There's nothing wrong with that... the problem is that I'm getting a download box for an octet-stream when clicking submit on the forums.

I use extensions for security.

You may need to be more specific with which extensions you are running and any other settings you have. (Ie, blocking scripting or whatnot)

Adblock 0.5.3.043
Adblock Filterset.G updater 0.3.1.0
Chatzilla 0.9.78.1
DOM Inspector 1.8.16
Download Manager Tweak 0.7.2
DownThemAll! 0.9.9.10
Fasterfox 2.0.0
Googlebar 9.15.10
Greasemonkey 0.7.20070607.0
NoScript 1.1.6.12
Tab Control 0.3.3
Talkback 2.0.0.6
VideoDownloader 1.1.1
RedShift v2 2.95

It shouldn't be a problem with any of the above, since I haven't updated any of them in about 2 weeks, and the problems started occuring 3 days ago, so there's been no version change in that time... it was working fine until then.

Also NoScript has caused probs in the past with version updates, but nothing recently, and never anything that would cause this kind of erratic behavior.

bump

It's getting worse... tabs getting mixed ups, links going to the wrong places, URLs not matching the pages they display, images switched around, more errors... 400, 401, 404... load failures... it now takes anywhere between 3 and 30 reloads per page before a page displays correctly, and often times there's no reload button so I need to re-enter the URL. What normally takes me 2 minutes is now taking me 20 or more.

bump

ok, I grew so tired of it I actually went back to IE... only problem is, IE has the same problems. Which means it has to either be my computer or my ISP. I have Avast, Kerio, SpyBot, SpywareBlaster, and so much other security that it would be inconceivable for it to be virus, spyware or hijack related... it could be the network card or driver software (it's a stupid D-link wireless card, and the drivers crash every time I start windows), and I'm using Verizon out of Tampa (they have their own issues).

Here's a HijackThis logfile:

Code:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:20:17 AM, on 8/21/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.20627)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall\kpf4ss.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall\kpf4gui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall\kpf4gui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvraidservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LCDMon.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\Wireless G WDA-1320\AirGCFG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
C:\Program Files\Saitek\Software\Profiler.exe
C:\Program Files\Saitek\Software\SaiSmart.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\Applets\LCDPop3\LCDPOP3.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\Applets\LCDClock.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\Applets\LCDMedia.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\FRAPS\FRAPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe
C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KHAL\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\apcsystray.exe
C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\FahCore_78.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\SavageUtilities\Utilities\Utilities\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer 7 - Extreme-Z Systems
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVRaidService] C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvraidservice.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVIDIA nTune] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneCmd.exe" clear
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [P17Helper] Rundll32 P17.dll,P17Helper
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTRegRun] C:\WINDOWS\CTRegRun.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Name of App] C:\Program Files\SAMSUNG\FW LiveUpdate\FWManager.exe r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launch LGDCore] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe" /SHOWHIDE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launch LCDMon] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LCDMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link Wireless G WDA-1320] C:\Program Files\D-Link\Wireless G WDA-1320\AirGCFG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCS2Service] C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Profiler] C:\Program Files\Saitek\Software\Profiler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SaiSmart] C:\Program Files\Saitek\Software\SaiSmart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Fraps] C:\FRAPS\FRAPS.EXE
O4 - Startup: Folding@Home 5.03.lnk = ?
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Startup: Trillian.lnk = C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: APC UPS Status.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O11 - Options group: [TABS] Tabbed Browsing
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpdshserviceobj.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ANIWZCSd Service (ANIWZCSdService) - Alpha Networks Inc. - C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\ANIWZCSdS.exe
O23 - Service: APC UPS Service - American Power Conversion Corporation - C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: nTune Service (nTuneService) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4 (SPF4) - Sunbelt Software - C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall\kpf4ss.exe

That looks like the Windows error that affected firefox. Interesting indeed. Have you updated your Windows and kept firefox up to date?

I've seen this problem myself recently, you should try removing all your extensions including TalkBack. It solved my issue.

That looks like the Windows error that affected firefox. Interesting indeed. Have you updated your Windows and kept firefox up to date?
What error is that?

And yeah, I have all the current updates for SP2... as far as I'm aware. Auto-updates is on, but as of like 2 years ago there's no way to manually force an update through their updater, and their website keeps telling me that my copy of windows is invalid now (apparently they decided to revoke my license?) so I can't update through the site. I downloaded a WGA patch, but that didn't fix it either, and I refuse to pay M$ twice for their crummy OS, which isn't to say I could afford it right now if I wanted to.

I've seen this problem myself recently, you should try removing all your extensions including TalkBack. It solved my issue.

as stated above, the issue is also present in MSIE... I also get a lot of errors when trying to connect to online games now, etc. I don't think it's a firefox issue, and even if removing my extensions fixed it, I wouldn't want to use Firefox without the ad-blocking, script-blocking and tab mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom