Strange Blackout Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Strange Blackout Question

Hi,

For a couple of months now I have been having this problem here at random times my computer freezes up and my monitor goes black. I've checked the basic connections and I'm sure it's not just a monitor problem because my keyboard is unresponsive (I can tell this because the Num Lock/ Caps Lock lights stop from going on when I push them.) It's as if my computer goes into permanent sleep mode, and the only way I can restore it is by rebooting. After a reboot, the computer starts up fine and there are no problems until it blacks out again.

I really have no idea what the problem is, and it is seriously starting to cost me. A couple months ago I found that my motherboard and power-source had been destroyed by presumably a surge (the blackout problem was going on then and may have been related). The blackouts still occur with my new proccessor, and I just failed an online college quiz because my computer shorted out in the middle of it. I have a decent surge protector, which I also run my phone-line through, and am
running Windows XP on a EMachines T2865. I have a fire-wall, and up to date virus/spyware protection. I think this may be relevant because the blackouts seem to occur most frequently when I'm online.

If you guys have any help or suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member (again)

Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425

Surge protectors really don't protect against surges. This false sense of security has cost me a Mac and two modems.

This is just a hunch, but make sure there are no grounding issues inside the case.

EDIT: I can also assume that you replaced the PSU and mobo after the surge, correct?

Debian Support Forums!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ugh, sorry about that initial post. That's what I get for writing the post in Notepad and entering my own line breaks (I'm still a little upset from the flunked quiz and all.) I'll try better next time to not be such a N00b.

I hope this is easier to read-

For a couple of months now I have been having this problem where at random times my computer freezes up and my monitor goes black. I've checked the basic connections and I'm sure it's not just a monitor problem because my keyboard is unresponsive (I can tell this because the Num Lock/ Caps Lock lights stop from going on when I push them.) It's as if my computer goes into permanent sleep mode, and the only way I can restore it is by rebooting. After a reboot, the computer starts up fine and there are no problems until it blacks out again.

I really have no idea what the problem is, and it is seriously starting to cost me. A couple months ago I found that my motherboard and power-source had been destroyed by presumably a surge (the blackout problem was going on then and may have been related). The blackouts still occur with my new proccessor, and I just failed an online college quiz because my computer shorted out in the middle of it. I have a decent surge protector, which I also run my phone-line through, and am running Windows XP on a EMachines T2865. I have a fire-wall, and up to date virus/spyware protection. I think this may be relevant because the blackouts seem to occur most frequently when I'm online.

If you guys have any help or suggestions I'd really appreciate it.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member (again)

Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425

No problem, just edit your post next time.

Debian Support Forums!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks macdude425 for the advice. You are correct. I had the motherboard and the power supply replaced as well. The replacements nearly cost about half of what I paid for the whole computer. I am not eager to repeat the experience.

I heard a friend (who is more computer savvy than I) mention a piece of hardware that I think he called a UPS (uninterrupted power supply?). He said that I might need one of those. Any thoughts?

Thinking about the blackouts again, I have a hunch that it is a software problem (that's why I posted in this forum). This is mainly because I can leave the computer idle for the day and it will usually be fine. Internet explorer, winamp, and AIM are the programs I'm most suspicious of.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

most surge protecter will protect from 1 surge, then you won't have any surge protection. buy a surge protecter that has a light that will let you know if the surge protection is working

try replacing your video card. I had that exact same problem and a new video card fix it
Old 10-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I probably will get a new video card. I'm currently working with a crappy onboard one. I guess the real problem is that I bought a cheap computer.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Make sure you have the right video drivers installed. You could also check your memory, although I don't think it's related. Use Memtest from www.memtest.org
Old 10-11-2005, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

a tip I learned from here was to put more money in your PSU. A guy in the hardware forum was telling me about spending 1,200-1,500.00 in computer parts, but only spending 25.00 on a psu. I now have 100.00 PSU with advanced surge protection (and other protection) built in
Old 10-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

Puters need flowing electons!! The most reliable part of your puter should protect the consistant amp/voltage conditions for your puter....very smart Eric!! Buy a new prefab'd puter....instantly replace the stock PSU with a high quality PSU and buy an top of the line Surge protector!!! Build your own PC and do the same!!!!!!! Doh!

Closed Thread