Strange Blackout Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

college kid 8

Beta member
Hi,

For a couple of months now I have been having this problem here at random times my computer freezes up and my monitor goes black. I've checked the basic connections and I'm sure it's not just a monitor problem because my keyboard is unresponsive (I can tell this because the Num Lock/ Caps Lock lights stop from going on when I push them.) It's as if my computer goes into permanent sleep mode, and the only way I can restore it is by rebooting. After a reboot, the computer starts up fine and there are no problems until it blacks out again.

I really have no idea what the problem is, and it is seriously starting to cost me. A couple months ago I found that my motherboard and power-source had been destroyed by presumably a surge (the blackout problem was going on then and may have been related). The blackouts still occur with my new proccessor, and I just failed an online college quiz because my computer shorted out in the middle of it. I have a decent surge protector, which I also run my phone-line through, and am
running Windows XP on a EMachines T2865. I have a fire-wall, and up to date virus/spyware protection. I think this may be relevant because the blackouts seem to occur most frequently when I'm online.

If you guys have any help or suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Surge protectors really don't protect against surges. This false sense of security has cost me a Mac and two modems.

This is just a hunch, but make sure there are no grounding issues inside the case.

EDIT: I can also assume that you replaced the PSU and mobo after the surge, correct?

Ugh, sorry about that initial post. That's what I get for writing the post in Notepad and entering my own line breaks (I'm still a little upset from the flunked quiz and all.) I'll try better next time to not be such a N00b.

I hope this is easier to read-

For a couple of months now I have been having this problem where at random times my computer freezes up and my monitor goes black. I've checked the basic connections and I'm sure it's not just a monitor problem because my keyboard is unresponsive (I can tell this because the Num Lock/ Caps Lock lights stop from going on when I push them.) It's as if my computer goes into permanent sleep mode, and the only way I can restore it is by rebooting. After a reboot, the computer starts up fine and there are no problems until it blacks out again.

I really have no idea what the problem is, and it is seriously starting to cost me. A couple months ago I found that my motherboard and power-source had been destroyed by presumably a surge (the blackout problem was going on then and may have been related). The blackouts still occur with my new proccessor, and I just failed an online college quiz because my computer shorted out in the middle of it. I have a decent surge protector, which I also run my phone-line through, and am running Windows XP on a EMachines T2865. I have a fire-wall, and up to date virus/spyware protection. I think this may be relevant because the blackouts seem to occur most frequently when I'm online.

If you guys have any help or suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks macdude425 for the advice. You are correct. I had the motherboard and the power supply replaced as well. The replacements nearly cost about half of what I paid for the whole computer. I am not eager to repeat the experience.

I heard a friend (who is more computer savvy than I) mention a piece of hardware that I think he called a UPS (uninterrupted power supply?). He said that I might need one of those. Any thoughts?

Thinking about the blackouts again, I have a hunch that it is a software problem (that's why I posted in this forum). This is mainly because I can leave the computer idle for the day and it will usually be fine. Internet explorer, winamp, and AIM are the programs I'm most suspicious of.

most surge protecter will protect from 1 surge, then you won't have any surge protection. buy a surge protecter that has a light that will let you know if the surge protection is working

try replacing your video card. I had that exact same problem and a new video card fix it

I probably will get a new video card. I'm currently working with a crappy onboard one. I guess the real problem is that I bought a cheap computer.

a tip I learned from here was to put more money in your PSU. A guy in the hardware forum was telling me about spending 1,200-1,500.00 in computer parts, but only spending 25.00 on a psu. I now have 100.00 PSU with advanced surge protection (and other protection) built in

Puters need flowing electons!! The most reliable part of your puter should protect the consistant amp/voltage conditions for your puter....very smart Eric!! Buy a new prefab'd puter....instantly replace the stock PSU with a high quality PSU and buy an top of the line Surge protector!!! Build your own PC and do the same!!!!!!! Doh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom