Strange about Embedded XP and a Compact Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

balinm01

Beta member
I hope I posted this in the correct section so be easy on me. I've used this forum to find answers to TON'S of questions so thanks everyone for your contributions. I finally have a strange question that I couldn't find an answer to:

Our company has a device that runs our Embedded XP on a 512k compact flash and I have an idea for a new product but the prez left it up to me to do the ground work. Our current product is designed to stay plugged in 24/7 and is very reliable that way. I want to take our device and make it a portable solution so I want to know if anybody knows of brands or maybe has an idea that will allow the device to be powered up and down (hard powered, being unplugged) throughout the day without concern for the flash to become corrupted or other issues. Is this even possible?

I understand that powering down when the OS is processing data is the real issue and in theory the user should NOT do this but it can happen and I want the product to be reliable. Any specific specs needed to help answer my question I would be happy to come up with.

What you are looking to do isnt possible.

Aside from being powered up and down constantly, there also has to be consideration for the environment in which it will be run. Not many places offer a solution to allow for USB devices to be used, let alone be the main boot device.

Then it has to be taken into consideration the fact that not all setup's can even use a USB to boot.

So you would first have to overcome those 2 major factors first to allow this product to be a viable solution for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom