Storage Probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazeboy84

Baseband Member
I have just recently bought a new custom pc, and i instaleld xp pro. I dont have much programs on my computer except just 1 game which is america's army 2gb. And all the misc files from windows etc. So i should have a total of 5gb MAXIMUM used. But my 111gb WD harddrive says i am using 12gb. I dont know where the other 7gb went to... I don't know what the prob is, but i can tell u that i installed WINDOWS XP PRO, and i didnt delete the Partition... Or w/e its called... Plz help

If you....

updated Windows with service packs, security fixes, hotfixes, etc....

have browsed the internet a lot and you're still at default for retaining temporary internet files up to 10% of drive space....

if your paging file isn't statically configured but dynamic (can grow and shrink the size of available space on your drive).

if you downloaded or installed various drivers or software from your motherboard, cdrom, modem, soundcard, etc. manufacturers

Any number of these things can have an affect. Set yourself to view all files (including hidden and system files) and do some poking around. Check the directory sizes of thing like the Windows and Program Files directory. You may just find out that there are a number of things installed that you may not have thought about taking up some space. If you wanna remove some of the things from the XP install, go to Add/Remove Programs>Windows Components and deselect the options/programs you don't want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom