Stick with XP pro 32bit or move to vista 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista uses prefetch. Prefetch makes things load faster. Unused RAM is wasted ram. So unless vista is using 4.5gb of memory when you only have 4gb of memory, there is no waste.

i have tried that already but i dont think it gave me that very good effect well 35% of 4gb is a lot of memory being hogged by vista that is more than 1gb :( , i dont think there is any spyware or virus coz this is only around 5 days installed.id be happy if i can see 20% or less of RAM usage in idle state.
There is a difference between thinking that you are not infected and knowing. I know i am not infected.

You're right. It uses 1.3gb idle.

At least, my laptop does, with nothing running and everything disabled on startup.

Maybe on your system it is 1.3GB. But you probably have more things loaded than me. I dont see how i can manage to get 500MB while everyone else says they get 1GB or more. My laptop specs are lower than most of yours. Yet i have better performace?

Of course as i said in other topics if i posted a screenshot i would just be told it was photochopped. I am sick of arguing about this. You all can say and think what you wish. I know what my system does. That is all i can say. No one will ever believe me so why bother trying to fight about it...

Mak, I'm not doubting your experience with Vista. Based on how knowledgeable you've been with helping me with issues, I don't doubt it for a second. And my experience with Vista has been completely back and forth. On some systems with 1gb of RAM, it flies. I was quite impressed with it. Here at work, 2 of the members of the tech department run Vista on 3gb of RAM and far prefer it over XP.

But... me... and my laptop on 2gb of RAM... I don't know what to tell you. Base install. Everything turned off in startup. I always face a 3 and a half minute boot time with 1.3gb of RAM in use. It's as much of a shock to me (after seeing Vista run good on other machines) as it may be to you having such good luck with it.

But, nonetheless, it's part of my experience with it, hence why I share. :)

But, on topic... as I stated at the beginning of the thread... I'd hate to see you install Vista and not realize that your hardware (any of it) isn't supported. Research ALL drivers first... if you got them available - why not upgrade?

Jayce i wasnt trying to argue or split hairs on this topic. ;) I was just saying that i know my experince is different only because i have used Vista for so long. (Since the Beta stages) So i know how to work with it. Instead of trying to force it to work with me.

I am not doubting that many people have a different experience with it. I know everyone does. Each person's experience is going to differ. No one's will be the same or get the same results as i have. To be honest i cant even give all the details on what i have done to get it that way cause i did so much tweaking that it isnt funny. I have made a Image cause i know that even i couldnt reporduce those results if i tried another 100 times.

But the truth is that Vista 64 bit is worth it. It is jsut as good as Server 08 is better cause it runs everything that the common user needs. From AV software to Anti-spyware stuff. While Server 08 you have to find specific Server based software and not everything works on it. Just read up on Poisen thread with WoW (I think) and Server 08.

I would be on Vista 64 myself if i could. But not having a 64 Bit CPU stops me.

No. But almost every AV software out there works with it. Unlike Server 08 which you cant use AVG or Avast or NOD32. You need NOD32 Business or Server editions and you need the Server additions of any AV to work with Server 08.

Technically i could say yes as the Welcome screen that pops up gives you a link to OneCare which is a Anti-Virus software. You jsut have to sign up and it will install it right away. But by default upon install there is no AV installed.

im not arguing either , i just wanted to know how to make it only use 500+-mb of ram in idle, but even tho it hogs around 1gb of ram i dont experience that 3 and half minutes of boot up, it only takes around 5-10 seconds for my OS to boat and load the sidebar and my AV.

On a funny note, this wants me to upgrade my XP Pro to Vista 64 bit... but using XP only for Counterstrike: Source kind of nullifies the point behind spending the money to upgrade.

I'd say go for the upgrade. XP isn't "the OS" anymore, Vista has evolved and is not the OS you complained about back when it came out. Vista is pretty good now, definitely worth the upgrade from XP (maybe not monetarily, if you're looking to BUY a copy of Vista, not worth it yet, but if you already have a copy...or *ahem* "have" a copy, then yeah, use it).

I Second that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom