Steam: legality vs morals

Geoman37

Baseband Member
Just a quick question. My internet is very slow and seeing how steam is not exactly famous for the speed of it's content download servers, do you think it is ok (on a moral standpoint) to buy a game off of steam and then download the files for it off of a torrent website to later dump the said files in the steam apps folder thereby minimizing the amount of downloads I have to endure directly from the Steam servers?

Depends on where you live. Canada allows us to have copies, so we can do that. The biggest issue I can see is getting a clean copy of the game.

But I think you buy the serial key now a days, not the actual media.

Legality there is grey IMO - all depends on where you live.

Morality is all up to you - do you think it's right to do it?

To me its morally alright since you already paid for the game's serial, so you technically own a copy already. So getting the install files is IMO is trivial where you get it from.

To be honest I am completely fine with doing it- some of the time I just copy the files off of a friends pc. Things like this annoy me though- for example emulators are legal yet the roms you use on them are illegal if downloaded (even if you own the game and console) yet the roms are legal if you copied them yourself. Still, nothing can stop you.

There has been some games where I have purchase from Steam, and then just used the CD Key for the client that I have obtained elsewhere. At the end of the day, the you are purchasing a license to play the a game, not the physical media which the game has been distributed on.

I find that some games run better when I am not loading it via steam.
Like why open a game on steam which requires uPlay to load the game then require data file from your steam client.
I think I would rather just open uPlay and then play the game.

Last edited:
I find that some games run better when I am not loading it via steam.
Like why open a game on steam which requires uPlay to load the game then require data file from your steam client.
I think I would rather just open uPlay and then play the game.

I mainly use it as it lets you get into the steam servers (where all my friends play).

I tried doing this with Max Payne (27GB game) and it did not work :(

So apparently it does not work for all games.

Towards the legality, in the US it's legal. You're technically downloading something you already own considering the fact that it's via digital distribution. It's literally the same thing.

Geoman37 said:
My internet is very slow and seeing how steam is not exactly famous for the speed of it's content download servers
That's funny, because my fastest download speeds are always when I download a game from Steam. I've hit 7.1 MB/s downloading from Steam, while torrenting gets me a max of 6.4.

I guess it all depends on which game you're downloading though.

Edit: I broke my record downloading SRIV
Speed.png

Last edited:
That's funny, because my fastest download speeds are always when I download a game from Steam. I've hit 7.1 MB/s downloading from Steam, while torrenting gets me a max of 6.4.

I guess it all depends on which game you're downloading though.

Edit: I broke my record downloading SRIV
Speed.png

Steams reported download speed isn't very accurate. You are better off checking it in Resmon.

Back
Top Bottom