Static IP Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangeish

Beta member
I'm trying to program a static IP onto one of our studio computers. It has Windows XP. When I put the same information into a Windows 7 computer it works perfectly. But for some reason it won't work on the Windows XP machine. I can ping other static IPs on the gateway, but it won't communicate with anything else.

IP already in use? other PC's able to ping the PC? Can the PC ping other network resources? Are they in the same workgroup?

We have 5 static IPs that we use. So far only 2 are being used (with no problem) I tried the other 3 available, which return no information when pinged and unassigned, and they don't work either on the XP machine. When I put any of the statics into the TCP/IP settings I can ping the XP Machine from another computer and even remote in via remote desktop, but it won't let me reach the web. If I'm letting it auto assign an IP from our router, which is using one of the statics, "192.168.1.xxx" it can access the web and ping the static gateway I'm supposed to use for the IP, but once the static is programmed I can no longer ping it..? Is there a configuration on the NIC I'm supposed to fiddle with?

( I hope I explained that clearly )

There is a router using DHCP. However I have the modem going to an 8 port switch, one of those is feeding to the router's internet port so as to avoid HAVING to go through the router. The router is setup with one of the static IPs and assigning private IPs throughout the network. I've tried attaching the studio computer directly to the switch to bypass the router's DHCP with the same result regardless of the configuration. My computer in my office is behind the router and uses the static IP flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom