Start Up Programs.. is it that complicated??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud__y__zer

Beta member
Hi there,

I'm using Windows XP and had two questions about the start-up programs/processes. First of all, for example, when I start up my computer ICQ automatically loads. I rarely use this program and would rather not have it load up when I start up my computer. These type of programs are shown on the taskbar on the right hand side.
How do you disable these type of programs from loading when you start your computer?
Second, while your computer is running, if you hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete the task manager will pop up. When I click on the PROCESSES tab I see a ton of programs running. Here are some of them: EXPLORER.EXE, SPOOLSV.EXE, PCTSPK.EXE, realplay.exe, and SVCHOST.EXE (there are 5 of these running at the same time). What I want to know is:
a)How do I find out what exactly these programs are?
b)How do I disable the unwanted ones from loading when I start up my computer?
One other thing I was wondering about. When I'm on my computer, every once in a while, an icon will show up on the right hand side of the task bar with this message attached to it, "New hardware has been detected on your computer" then it lists the new hardware as being"UUUEU U UUUUUEUUUUUUUUUU" I never have installed it, looks like a virus to me. I have Norton and get updates on a regular basis, Norton doesnt seem to think its a virus. When I search my computer by entering the name of the file, nothing shows up on my computer as being named that.
How do I find where its located on my computer? How do I find out what this program is? How do I delete it?

Thank you for your time,
Ken

Ken I don't have all of your answers but if you want to remove programs from start up go to start>run> type in msconfig and enter. You can take out whatever you want. When you start up your computer you're going to get a message telling you to put them back in. Check the box and close it. You might want to write down what you took out or take out one or two things at a time to make sure your computer functions the way you want it to. Techwreck (tw)

Several suggestions:
1. Keep the issue to one thread - by establishing multiple threads you discourage people who are trying to help .
2. If you want to solve the issue, get serious. Yes it is a bit complicated and you have to be prepared to put in the effort but it is not rocket science. To repeat, go to the pacman portal www.pacs-portal.co.uk and follow the start tips button (or similar). It tells you what the programs are and has detailed instructions on how to disable them. If you don't like his style do a search. (In your list above - kill realplay it can be a real threat, the others are mostly system software and must be retained - generally if they are not listed by pacman they are essential system software)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom