Start Up Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelpMe2008

Solid State Member
Right when I turn my computer on, a black screen with this text pops up...

Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

^I have no idea what that means or why it's doing that. But, it's extremely important I find out something ASAP. So, if someone could please assist me with this situation, I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks. :)

PS:I'm on a different computer now if your wondering how I got passed this error.

The onscreen instructions are referring to the boot up with the XP installation disk to the recovery console by pressing R instead of the usual install now by pressing enter option. The system file would then be manually expanded from the I386 folder on the XP cd to the sub folder it's generally installed to.

Once at the recovery console you can attempt to see a fresh copy expanded to the destination folder by first cnanging drives from the C: to the optical drive like D: by simply typing D at the prompt if D and pressing the enter key. Once on the optical drive's prompt you would type in: "expand syste_" not "expand system" since all system files are compressed into CAB type archive files.

The full command would likely be "D:\expand syste_ C:\Windows>system32>config\" followed by pressing the enter key. If you are unable to manually expand the file the next step would likely be a repair install in order to preserve the current copy of Windows will seeing the repair made. How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

The possibility of using the system file checker at the recovery console is once you are logged on as administrator you can use the "chkdsk" command there to perform a full scan of the hard drive as well as all system files. The chkdsk command is more thorough then simply typing "sfc /scannow" like you would if Windows could load and you choose the Start>Run command line to run the tool or schedule that for the next startup.

Yes you will need a XP Disc that matches your system. Home or Pro and OEM or Retail.

You can fix this without an XP disk, I've done it myself before.

The problem is basically that your registry, or at least one of the hives, has become corrupted.
There are copies of the registry hives on your hard drive but they are from when you installed the computer. So the plan is to restore these old hives then when you can boot back into windows get copies of the hives out of system restore (because a more recent version of your registry should be in system restore).

here's the KB article How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

p.s. you can make the hive substitutions using a Linux live CD

If this all seems too technical then I wouldn't worry about it and try to get hold of a copy of XP

Any registry repairs won't replace any corrupted or missing system files. With some drivers you can download those at 3rd party sites since those are more common errors. For a system file that got knocked out somehow you will need the I386 folder found only on the XP installation disk in order to manually expand the replacement needed.

For a repair or full reinstall of Windows while those are reserved as last options you have to have the original disk. Is this on a custom build or prebuilt system like a Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. there?

For a prebuilt if you are missing the original recovery not full version disk you can have that replaced. On the latest Dell XPS desktops there is no recovery disk since you simply press a specific key or combination to see everything restored to factory.

For a custom build one fast way to replace the original disk would be now seeing the XP disk with SP3 included in order to have that plus see a clean install go on. That will see everything corrected on the spot. With a corrupted or missing file you are in a tight spot there not having the original disk onhand however.

Any registry repairs won't replace any corrupted or missing system files. With some drivers you can download those at 3rd party sites since those are more common errors. For a system file that got knocked out somehow you will need the I386 folder found only on the XP installation disk in order to manually expand the replacement needed.

True, but from what HelpMe2008 has said there is no evidence that there are any corrupted or missing system files - the "SYSTEM" file is a registry hive, you do know that right?

True, but from what HelpMe2008 has said there is no evidence that there are any corrupted or missing system files - the "SYSTEM" file is a registry hive, you do know that right?

And Step #1 is.... ? "Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. "

If the set of 6 floppies was never made up he would have to go to bootdisk.com to download the disk image needed there. Bootdisk.Com - Free Windows Bootdisks, Free DOS boot disk

The idea there is to reach the recovery console and log in as adminstrator. From there you manually type in the specified commands for seeing the hives copied.

With the original installation disk lost there's the need for a new full install copy which would replace the original installation anyways seeing a normal running system again. There is another possible restoration method provided the F8 boot menu can be reached namely manually starting up the system restore feature from there provided there are valid restore points available. How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP

HelpMe2008 may be able to get things running using that method while the lack of being able to perform at least a repair install if needed tells another story.

I went ahead and put the disk in and re-booted the computer, and let it load up. It came to the HP PC Recovery Tools CD screen. The options I can click are...

Instructions
Remove system recovery partition (which is grey meaning I can actually click it)
Create a new data partition
Run Microsoft Recovery Console
Start system recovery program from the recovery partition (which is all grey meaning I can click it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom