Stand-By or Hibernate ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

In Runtime
I usually have about (20) or so Firefox Tabs open at any onetime doing research. I need to be able to access these tabs after my PC is turned back on.

Would it be better for me to use the Hibernate feature or the Stand-by feature ?

What's the advantages/disadvantages of each ?

Hibernation would be better. It saves the desktop and whats open and shuts off the computer completely.

^ When in the Shutdown screen press the Shift key, the Standby button will be replaced by the Hibernate button.
The standby option stores the computer "context" in RAM, so you need to keep the computer on. With Hibernate the computer "context" will be stored in the hard drive so you don't need to keep the computer on.

Regarding your firefox question just terminate the firefox with task manager, not closing it, and the next time you run firefox it will detect that the firefox hasn't been correctly closed and it will ask you if you want to restore the previous session.
It's a lamme answer but it works ;)

I use Stand-By cause Hibernate uses some of your HDD space. That way what ever is stored in RAM can be put onto the HDD so that it saves the state when it comes out. So for me that would be 3GB of space lost to Hibernate.

I just make sure that i have saved my stuff before i go into standby. I can leave my browser on a specific page, leave files open. Just about anythign i could do with Hibernate with Standby and i dont have to wait that extra time when i come back.

Its all personal preference. Some like Hibernate, some like standby. Some like standby without turning off their hard drives like me. that way i can continue to download or defrag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom