SSL VPN add-on Unavailable-Device missing binding issue Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putt4Dough

Baseband Member
Hello Tehcs,

I need help big time here.

I am installing a third party SSLVPN client to all my users working externally. The issue I'm having is that when I install the client the status of the SSLVPN client in Network Connections is labeled at "Unavailable-Device missing". I tried uninstalling and reinstalling different versions and it does not seem to want to cooperate. The supplier says that the PC needs to be reformatted to fix the issue. The headache here is that it's an image that was installed on 30+ PC so all the PCs that have the image cannot install the client correctly. That would mean that I would need to recall all external users to install a new image for everybody. Needless to say that it's a lot of work.

It seems that it's a binding issue. If reformatting will fix the issue that would mean that there it's a registry issue that can be fixed. Any help would be appreciated. I can try anything even if that would damage the OS since it's an image on a test PC. I can reimage and be up and running within 5 minutes for other tests if the procedure screws something up.

There must be a solution possible. Anything please.

Meanwhile I'm still searching the Internet and testing different things.

Thanks
Mike

Yeah your well beyond the scope of the support of this forum. We are not really into support for businesses. While we can solve some issues, but the time we get to an answer you would already be in hot water. I suggest you contact Microsoft for support or you check out their IT Pro forums.

You could possibly have this moved to the enterprise area. But that area is still new and we dont have a dedicated IT Tech person on site to assist with such issue.

Thanks for the info. I'll leave it here for a while and transfer it to the enterprise forum later if I don't get any suggestions.

I found something. It looks like the WAN Miniports don't exist on the OS. I'm comparing with a functional VPN config on a similar platform. I'm searching on how to reinstall the miniports but If somebody has an idea how Let me know.

As for your enterprise tech forum. I might be interested. I'm an MCSE net admin. PM me or let me know.

Mike

I think I solved it. At least it works on my test PC. Will try it on my production PC's today.

The issue with “Unavailable-Device missing” for a device is that there are no miniports installed on the PC. Most support techs that have no clue other then how there product works will often tell you that you need to format and reinstall your OS. To me that's not an acceptable answer. If reinstalling your OS will fix the issue then that means that it's a software or configuration issue that can be repaired without the need to reinstall.

Solution:

I found that there were no Miniports installed on the PC. You can see if this is the case on your system by going to Control panel, system, Hardware, Device Manager, click on View, Show hidden devices. Under Network Adapters you should see a series of WAN Miniport (IP, PPPOE, PPTP….). These ports are often used for different adapters like VPN clients for example. If the Miniports are not visible you will need to reinstall them.

First download devcon.exe. This is a utility from Microsoft. When that is done you can find the different miniport driver names associated to your OS in the following file c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf. This path is for Windows XP and it will be different for other OS.

Here are the command lines I used in XP to reinstall the needed Miniports.

devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_PppoeMiniport

devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_NdisWanIp

devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_PptpMiniport

devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_L2tpMiniport

Reboot your PC following these commands.

You will probably need to reinstall your VPN client or hardware driver that was not functioning before. This will reinitialize binding to the Miniports.

This is a result of a few days works so I hope this will help somebody out there.

Voila
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom