SSD almost full??

scroudt

In Runtime
Hi all,
Not sure if there's an answer to this.
I have a SSD as my primary and a 500gig HD as my program drive.

My SSD is 120 gig. I don't have an games installed on it basically just windows 7 Pro and Photoshop CS5 with a couple other attachment programs for Photoshop. I used to have a couple games installed on the drive as well but removed them because I hadn't played any games for a couple years now.

According to my guesstimate I should have under 60 gigs used on my SSD. But I noticed the other day that out of 111 usable gigs, I only have 5.81 gigs of free space?
So something is being saved on my drive and I have no idea what it could be? is there any way to easily find out what's taking up all this space so that I can change or remove it all?

Also wondering about disk defraging? I've heard that it's not a good idea to defrag SSD. When I first installed my SSD I turned defraging off. Think this could clear up some of the space, or just don't do it?

Defragging is an absolute no no for SSDs and the software is made specifically for mechanical platter drives.

Sounds like you just have a clutter problem. To quickly find out what's hogging your drive you can use this.
https://windirstat.info/

I would also turn off hibernation and move your pagefile to your 500GB. Check your temp folders and download folder.

Run this and it will give a nice visual representation of the list of files (and a tree view):
https://windirstat.info/

And yes, you should turn off defragging. No, it won't clear up any space.

You should make sure you have your page file turned off for your SSD though; and if you have a page file at all, it should be moved to your HDD.

Also make sure you disable hibernation so you don't have a hiberfil.sys taking up space that equals the amount of RAM you have. From a command prompt that's run as Admin:

Code:
powercfg.exe /hibernate off

Edit: ninja'd by PP.. exact same info too lol.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. Don't have time to look into things today but hopefully in the next couple days I will.
I've never used hibernation on my computers.

The command listed previously is enabled by default. It uses up the amount of RAM you have on your C: drive so that would account for 8GB itself. Turning that off and rebooting should free up 8GB instantly.

The command listed previously is enabled by default. It uses up the amount of RAM you have on your C: drive so that would account for 8GB itself. Turning that off and rebooting should free up 8GB instantly.

This exactly. Just because you've never used it, doesn't mean it's not taking up space ;).

Shadow Copies is another thing to look into disabling.

Won't save space, but will extend the ssd life - turn off indexing

Run the cleanup tool on windows to clear all temp files etc.
Just click start and type clean and it should display

Also clear the cache from browsers and check the size of your profile, to see if it has excess files, and your default download folder etc. may contain files you don't need.

OK, finally got to this.
downloaded and installed https://windirstat.info/. Found that my wife, while putting movies and shows onto her parents external was creating folders on the desktop, adding videos to the folder then transferring them to their external. Don't know how I missed that, probably because I don't use the computer much anymore.

That was 58 gigs of space right there.......

Hibernation is now disabled.

And indexing was already turned off, I think I did that when I first installed windows

Back
Top Bottom