SQL and Backups in windows server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkala

Solid State Member
I'm trying to do a full server backup using the windows backup utility. I need this server running pretty much non-stop, aso I'm trying to set up a vss so I can backup the entire server as it's running. Unfortunatly we're also running an SQL server, and the VSS doesn't want to create properly. I get an error "Sqllib error: Database <database name here>
is not simple. " (the error id is 6004)

Can't say I know anything about SQL. The techie who set it up left the company in a hurry and I haven't had time to get aquainted with everything. Can someone explain to me what's the difference between full recovery mode and simple recovery mode for SQL? And would it be a horrible thing if I set it to simple to backup and then set it back to full?

Also if anyone knows of a program that can clone a hardrive that's compatable with windows server 2003, and doesn't cost me a leg, it'd be much appreciated if you let me know about it.

Thanks in advance.

I would HIGHLY reccomend on purchasing some good backup software such as Veritas Backup Excec. Espciailly since this is a server. It would far out weigh you to purchase a good backup system now and be able to recover rather than lose everything later and rebuild from scratch.

I would purchase the SQL, and AOF options so that you can backup SQL databases with ease and have better open file success.

Symantec Ghost should be able to clone that hard drive without problem. If it is a SCSI/SATA drive though you will have to load the drivers for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom