Spyware wont get removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fjf314 said:
I'm no expert when it comes to firewalls and the Internet, but this just does not sound right to me. My copy of XP comes with SP2, so I don't know by experience, but I don't think that just connecting to the Internet when you don't have a firewall is going to immediately lead to you getting viruses...

Regardless, like Warez said, those are just tracking cookies. Have you tried clearing Firefox's cookies through the browser itself or emptying out the folder they're stored in?

I was hoping someone would say this before me...thats all just a bunch of hype..Look at the Major, he is on xp sp1, I think or no sp's at all..dont beleive everything you hear, test it out for yourself.

"My copy of XP comes with SP2, so I don't know by experience, but I don't think that just connecting to the Internet when you don't have a firewall is going to immediately lead to you getting viruses..."

I do know from experience, and I've been over this before.

What firewall is Major using? My old disk did not come with sp2 & build in firewall, I can assure that in 2006 if you merely connect to the internet with a really old version of XP like I have then you will get infected VERY quickly.

I can assure you the first time I reformatted I connected to the internet without installing updates & sp2. I visited exactly 2 websites, windows update site & download.com to get avg, spybot, etc. One my very first scan I had quite a bit of malware on my system & wasn't even online for half an hour. So I reformated & didn't connect to the internet until installing windows updates I got from here http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/.

Next time you reformat first uninstall sp2, & the firewall and a few windows updates, wait 10 minutes or so & run some scanners & you will see that it is not hype.

Sounds like the original poster installed an older version of xp without a firewall & connected to the internet, I bet thats the cause of his problem.

Actually, I was wrong when I said I didn't have any experience. I forgot that until this year, my parent did not have SP2 or even any security software installed on their machine. When I went home over my summer break starting in May, I installed SP2, along with Avast, AdAware, Spybot, and some other security programs. No malware turned up on their system.

I'm not necessarily just talking about SP2 here, I'm mainly recommending this because of the firewall.

So your saying you surfed the web for months without a firewall and had no malware?

Thats not right my friend.

Ok, something wrong again, I'm getting advertisements popup's on my desktop when i have no internet connected program open... at all... i mean, i'm pretty sure its spyware...

macdawg said:
I'm not necessarily just talking about SP2 here, I'm mainly recommending this because of the firewall.

So your saying you surfed the web for months without a firewall and had no malware?

Thats not right my friend.

I didn't, but my parents most certainly did. Either that or Avast, AdAware, and Spybot all missed everything. I think I know which one seems more likely, haha.

If any of you find any information or links of people without a firewall being ok online I'd love to see it.

Considering that I have seen it done, I don't exactly feel the need to go running off looking for proof. If you choose to not believe me, that's fine. I won't lose any sleep over it. :D

Don't go running off looking for proof because you won't find it. I don't mind someone disagreeing with me but have some kind of information otherwise its a waste of time.

The original poster sounds like he went online with unpatched xp, and got his updates online. Not good, the threat has grown and even 2 years ago there was evidence of how dangerous that is. That is the whole purpose of slipstreaming xp and why I recommend everyone does it.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2004-11-29-honeypot_x.htm

"While most break-in tries fail, an unprotected PC can get hijacked within minutes of accessing the Internet. Once hijacked, it is likely to get grouped with other compromised PCs to dispense spam, conduct denial-of-service attacks or carry out identity-theft scams. Those are key findings of a test conducted by USA TODAY and Avantgarde, a San Francisco tech marketing and design firm."

"The test did not measure Web attacks that require user participation, namely spyware, which gets spread by visiting contagious Web sites, or e-mail viruses, which proliferate via e-mail attachments."

In other words it measured threats from simply being online and had 341 break in attempts in the first hour.

"Less than four minutes from start of the test, an intruder breaks into Windows XP SP1 through the vulnerability most famously exploited by last May's Sasser worm. Ensuing instructions get garbled."

"Eleven minutes later another intruder breaks into XP SP1 through the security hole exploited by the July 2003 MS Blaster worm. Ensuing instructions get garbled"

"While the previous break-in is still unfolding, another intruder, using a different attacking computer, breaks into XP SP1 through the Sasser hole. Ensuing instructions get garbled."

"An intruder breaks into XP SP1 for the fourth time using the MS Blaster hole. Things go smoothly. He begins uploading commands. He confirms XP SP1 is connected to the Internet, then begins making repeated attempts to connect XP SP1 to a server running an Internet Relay Chat channel, the equivalent of a private Instant Messaging line."

"The intruder successfully connects XP SP1 to the IRC channel, which is probably also running on a hijacked PC."

"The intruder instructs XP SP1 to navigate to a designated Web site, likely running on yet another hijacked PC. XP SP1 downloads a program, called ie.exe, from the Web site."

"XP SP1 begins scanning the Internet, poised to similarly hijack other PCs exhibiting the same unpatched security hole."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom