split up AVI rejoining, avi.0, avi.1; file 0, file 1 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invidious

Baseband Member
I'm trying to get a few videos that have been split up into pieces and sent to me to play.

They are avi files and they are named like the following:

name.avi.0
name.avi.1
name.avi.2
name.avi.3

and so on.

On the file properties it says "file 0" for avi.0 files, file 1 for avi.1 files, etc.

name.avi.0 will play, the rest of the files will not. Online searching only shows me avi.001, avi.002 names split up. I no understanding of any of this.

Currently on windows xp.

Does anyone know why avi.0 seems to play for each video but avi.1 and so on does not? And, does anyone know how to rejoin them? Absolutely nothing seems to register avi.1 and beyond. I can't even put them in movie maker, the only file that video editing/playing programs will seem to register are the avi.0 files.

I apologize if this isn't the right subforum for this question.

Try a program called HJSplit, it may be able to join them.

Alternatively you could try renaming the files so that there is not a number after the '.avi'

Thank you for the response Yami.

HJsplit doesn't seem to work. I came across the HJSplit stuff earlier when googling for the issue, this seems to be a different situation though as it isn't avi.001, it is just avi.1, etc. But just to be sure I tried it once again and it still doesn't work.

(Nvm what I wrote earlier about the changing the file name, I had file extensions hidden)

After I unhid the file extensions I was able to change it to a regular .avi file, but it still failed to work.

Ok, I believe I have found a method that works by combining your advice yami.

If I change the names of both files to represent .001, .002, etc. avi names I can then combine them using HJsplit and it will play it all.

Thanks again Yami, you've been a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom