Spector Pro, Is this Ethical? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Spector Pro, Is this Ethical?

So one of our client sites, asked us to install this program on every computer they have, its a program that that monitors everything on the computer, all the way from email, to IM programs to screenshots and keystrokes. Is the company allowed to do that? if they can, do we have the right to warn them what the program does? or do we not need to tell them?

Old 12-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Depends on the laws there. But I would think if the company owns the equipment they can do whatever they want with it including monitoring everything. Sounds pretty crappy of them though, who would want to work for such a company?

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Will they be letting the users know they are being monitored?
With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

we are in canada, thats what i am trying to find out! do we tell them if we are putting this type of program into the computer?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

without a disclaimer, evidence from the findings are not valid in court (in most of the free world)
Case:NZXT Trinity Silver PSU:Apevia Aspire 500W UV Green Motherboard:Asus A8N-SLI CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500 CPU Cooler:Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Video:2x eVga nVidia GeForce 6800XT (256MB DDR) RAM:2Gig (4x512 Corsair TwinX dual channel) HDD:160Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA, 200Gig Maxtor SATA III CD/DVD:LG DVD ROM, NEC 16XDVD+-RW
(\__/) This is Bunny. Put him in your
(='.'=) signature and help him on his way
(")_(") to world domination
Old 12-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I believe the company has to let them know.

Here is the link

http://www.privcom.gc.ca/information/guide_e.asp#004
With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Pretty cool prog though
Old 12-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Do they have a license of the program for every single computer they want to put it on?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Usually they have a clause in any network onboarding paperwork that says they have the right to monitor any and all activity on company owned computer equipment. My company does. Of course, we are VERY strict with out computers.

the cake is a lie
Old 12-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

so technically, the company can put anything on the computers to monitor their employees, but does the company have to warn the Employees about it or not?

Closed Thread