Speaker Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcohen

Banned
Forum members were very helpful and knowleagble when it came to my last acquisition of portable data storage. I would like to ask about my next purchase.

I am looking at purchasing a sound system for my home PC. There are three electronic stores in my area that have excellent deals on speaker systems. What can you tell me about sound systems? Some of hte systems that I have been looking at are six piece systems some are two piece, some have a subwoofer with them others do not. Understanding that I would like to spend as little as possible what advice do you have for me? All of the systems that I have seen are satelight systems, not real sure what this means?

What advice can you give me on the sound systems?

When it comes to sound cheap is never your answer. But yet again as i said with the Portable storage this is all personal preference.

Do you listen to music, watch many movies? We need to know what you do before we can say 2.0, 2.1 or 5.1 on the sound.

An electronic store near my can offer the following:

Inland Speaker System 5.1 for $30
Logitech Z5300e 5.1 for $170
Pro Sound 2.1 for $30

I am willing to go for either the 5.1 or 2.1.

2.0, 2.1 and 5.1 is the type of sound system. 2.0 is just the 2 speakers. 2.1 is the 2 speakers and a sub woofer. 5.1 is the 5 surround speaker and a sub woofer. They do not count the sub woofer as a actual speaker but as the .1 cause it only does bass.

Since you watch movies you should consider the 5.1 systems. But you have to make sure your sound card is compatable with 5.1.

Just find out what kind of sound card/chip you have and look it up on the manufacturer's website to see if it supports 5.1.

The satellite speakers you were asking about means that you go from your sound card to one central location, usually a sub woofer, then the sound is routed to all of the other satellite speakers.

I have used Altec Lansing speakers for a long time now, and they have great quality compared to some of the other brands. Just remember, if you go with a 5.1 speaker system, you will have to find a place to put the back speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom