SP2 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares82

Baseband Member
Ok so I finally decided to update my Win XP Home SP1 to SP2, and now I have some problems with it. Some programs have flat out stopped working.

I tried to check my e-mail with Outlook Express, but it no longer works. It just starts up and immediatly shuts down.

My windows System Restore doesn't even start up when I activate it. Nothing happens at all when I click the shortcut.

Also I have Optimum Online Internet Service, and after I installed SP2 the Netguide that comes with it doesn't start up as it did before on start up even though when I checked MSCONFIG it was listed under the start up tab and had a check mark next to it. I wanted to reinstall it, but after I uninstalled it, I can't instal it anymore the setup screen starts up and then shuts down immedietly. I can still access the internet though so this is not that big of a problem.

Also another minor problem, when I try to activate the windows help center I get this weird Application Error:

The instruction at "0x00eb89dd" referenced memory at "0x000000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

The Netguide and the Help Center are not that big of a deal to me, but I do care about Outlook Express and Sys Restore.

So if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Oh and I did turn off the Windows Firewall because I have my own, but I don't think that's the problem here.

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. But I am really looking for a way to fix it rather then go back to SP1.

This will take about a hour or so. Download a standalone install of XP SP2. Save it to desktop. Download Autostreamer. Get your XP disk ready. What you are going to do is slipstream XP2 into your windows installation from the cd to your hard drive and then make an iso of it and burn it to a disk and then you have a slipstreamed XP disc ready to go

I don't get it. How does having SP2 on a CD help me fix my Outlook Express or get System Restore to work?

because downloading it and installing it on a used system os causes more problems than if it were built in. Kind of like buying a car with a supercharger and one without. the one with the supercharger, 99% of the time, its works fine but the one without a supercharger, you add it yourself, and 99% of the time, you have problems

Did you read microsofts what to do before installing SP2.? The only pc's that I have seen that sp2 did not work were ones that were infected. I think you can roll back SP2 from add / remove programs.

warez dude how is slipstreaming SP2 with win xp going to help.
you want him to do a reinstall ?

I just explained it. Ask anyone here. Uninstalling SP2 is not a good answer. Take it from someone who has done it before. I wouldnt be telling someone to do something if it wasnt going to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom