SP2 - print spooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHarwood

Beta member
After installing SP2 I could not print, scan, etc. Went into control printer to add my printer again, and it said print spooler could not be found. Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Thanx

Chris

uninstall SP2. :)

seriously, like half the people on this forum including myself, has had problems with SP2, i uninstalled the thing the day after i initially installed it.

Also, check to see that the (RPC) Remote Procedure Call service is started and set to Automatic...

If it's a networked printer, you need to read the SP2 release-notes chapter on getting XP to work on a network. There's some minor settings you need to pester.

If it's not a networked printer (ie - it's attached to your PC directly by a serial cable or USB) then you have a few options.

1. Update your printer's drivers.
2. Visit the printer's site for information on compatability with SP2
3. Install a generic printer, directed at your real printer, and then tweak the setup.
4. Check your permissions for the printer.
5. If you still have the printer installed, uninstall it, disconnect it, reboot, then attach it and let Windows find it and load it up. Then patch it with the manufacturer's drivers.

"scratches head and wonders if anyone read what he wrote" :confused:

check to see if the Print spooler service is in the service manager. It should be there, if it's not, then you need to restore it. This can be done though the windows compnent installer. (app remove program)
You then need to make sure that the service is set to automatic so that you can print when needed. Otherwise, if you set it to manual, you have to start it by hand to print.

gabe - or, Uninstall SP2
Most problems encountered with SP2 are fixable (and many easily fixable at that). Stop telling people to run away and instead help them fix their problem. That's what they're here for.

Unless they run into a total compatability issue, there's no reason why they should just give up because they ran into a problem.

:umm: :freak:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom