SP2 - NUKED my machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADZ

Fully Optimized
I have been dodging SP2 like the plague till the other day when I finally said what the heck and I installed it. It finished installing and then asked for a reboot, which I was more than glad to give it.

I was delighted to find that upon start up, I had a bluescreen and then it rebooted. And then it booted up, tried to get into windows, and then reboots...tis is an endless cycle.

I tried last known good configurations - NOTHING
I can go into safe mode fine
I can go into safe mode with networking

so from safe mode I tried to do a system restore - NOTHING

I guess my next step is going into safe mode and trying to uninstall...then if that doesnt work...then I am going to format.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

As far as I know all system restore points become useless and don't work after installing a service-pack

I don't have any suggestions, but you can put your HD in another PC and see if it works, if unistall does not work in safemode it might work in normal mode on another machine

Do you have AMD 64? I heard they don't work very well with SP2

Was that on XP pro or home? I finally gave in the other day on my XP Home machine and haven't had any problems. I'm still on the fence with Pro though, since I don't have an install disk.

Oh yeah, it doesn't say XP Home with the green bar anymore, it just says Windows XP and has a blue bar at the splash screen.:confused:

Your system restores become archived/cleanup space after you do a service pack install, because essentially you are installing a new OS and any legacy setups won't work anymore.

If you're getting blue screens, then something is amiss with your system setup. Check your hardware and see if it is compatible. Also, make sure your chip and RAM are supported. Make sure you actually have a real version of Windows. Try a reinstall first, before you uninstall.

try repairing windows, and my motto... NEW motto is if it aint broke dont fix it (oh god i need to follow that)

Thanks for all your posts. Well, I uninstalled it, but still no joy. I dont get Blue screens all the time, just teh first time after installing SP2.

Ahh well, im not too bothered...2003 ENT Here we go! :p

fortunately I had data backed up on seperate partition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom