SP2 caused crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Baseband Member
SP2 caused crash

A friend installed the SP2 patch for Windows XP and when it rebooted it only goes to the splash screen.

He can get a menu by using F8 as follows:
safe mode
safe mode with the network
safe mode command prompt
enable boot logging
enable VGA mode
last known good configuration
director services restore mode (Windows domain controller only)
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on systems failures

Using safe mode only gets back to the splash screen.
Last known good configuration doesn't do anything.

Can he use his Windows XP CD to repair problems or install over itself?

Can he use someone else's restore backup disk, he doesn't have one of his own?

What say you?

Is it possible that your friend has a pirated version of XP?

The reason I ask is that with SP1 for XP, Microsoft added some code to try and stop the pirated versions. There were a lot of people that had to reinstall Windows XP at that time. I thought I had heard Microsoft was going to try again with SP2.

In SP2 there is a code exe that searches the registry (and files) for bootleg/invalid/alternate windows keys. If it finds them, it gives you a headache...but since I'm sure yer not pathetic enough to steal software, that shouldn't be yer problem.

Windows SP2 adds some more processes to your system, which can slow down the startup. If your machine is slow, you might be experiencing problems with lag, and can wait it out. If it never comes up, then reinstall back to SP1 and get on with yout life.

Microsoft even claims, through public channels, that SP2 will not work smoothly for everyone. My machine is 3 years old and I get a sluggish startup now, but other than that it hasn't locked things up.

What's yer system specs?
You may have got a bad copy of SP2 as well. My first installation of SP2 was bad, and I had to redownload. You may have just got a corrupted install due to the high demand for SP2 causing bandwidth issues.

My idea is to forget sp2 and stick with how things are. plus if ur system is old then its just gonna cause problems.If u got a new system then you either have a bad copy or have a pirated xp, then it's ur fault, just install xp over again.

Used the XP CD and he's "up & running" again.

Not sure what to do w/ updates that were erased by the re-install and before he tried SP2.

Does he need to install "critical updates" to get up to date before he tries SP2 or will SP2 update him with only SP1 installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom