sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
im trying to install cable internet at my university, and to get access to resnet here it says i need to install window's sp2. it gave a few probs at first over not having enough space, but the last error i got said something about windows not being properly registered or whatnot. i bought the computer from someone with windows already on it so dont really know if it was a registered copy. now i dont know if windows really needs to be properly registered or am i misunderstanding the message? furthermore if it does indeed need a proper serial number does this mean i need to reinstall? will this change anything like my settings, the files on my desktop, anythig? or how about the fact that im installed windows again, this time froma different cd? can anyone advise?

thanks
dan

if you reinstall, it will change everything, if you upgrade it changes most settings back to default but you dont lose anything. How big is your hard drive? If it gave you that message you probably dont have enough space on your harddrive. To see if it is a legit copy, go to www.microsoft.com and try to download microsoft antispyware and see if you can get past the windows validation, if you do, you are fine, if you cant, yo need to find a volume license serial

Warez Monster said:
if you reinstall, it will change everything, if you upgrade it changes most settings back to default but you dont lose anything. How big is your hard drive? If it gave you that message you probably dont have enough space on your harddrive. To see if it is a legit copy, go to www.microsoft.com and try to download microsoft antispyware and see if you can get past the windows validation, if you do, you are fine, if you cant, yo need to find a volume license serial

thanks for the input.

how does one upgrade?

im not at my computer right now but i doubt i can download anything else. i dont have internet access! i can visit certain restricted sites, such as the one giving instructions on my university's homepage telling me what i need to do to get online. and im somehow able to access the page to download sp2. but besides that nothing really. i do have the microsoft anti spyware thingy tho which i got a few months back, would that do the job? because it WAS a few months ago maybe things have changed since then. it does run fine.

btw my primary hard drive is 30gigs and my secondary is 120. the 30 is mainly full but i guess i can transfer stuff to the 120.

hey what if i just get a hold of a serial, do i still need to install from scratch or can i put that in somewhere?

You can download RockXP and change the serial. How you upgrade is put the cd in within windows and then choose the upgrade option. I would myself, reinstall completely and install your os on the 120gb. If you got MAS with the os your are refering to, you should be fine and it is/should be legit unless you know how to bypass it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom