Sound problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBerger

Baseband Member
Let me start by saying yes everything is plugged in, not muted and in working order. I rebooted my computer to come back and find it with no sound. Winamp gives me an error when trying to play, i tunes wont open, starcraft II crashes and youtube plays only the video. No system sounds either.

Under device manager there is a yellow ! in the Audio device on high definition audio bus section. says it needs a driver but I use a soundblaster audigy card not onboard so didn't think this would make a difference. I can't find a drive for that anyhow so what to do? Sorry that's probably not the best description but I'm frustrated right now and please ask any questions necessary in order to diagnose better, thanks.

You need to install the driver for the Sound Blaster Card.

Few issues about that. I installed a Via hd audio driver and no longer have the yellow ! next to it.

When i go to control panel - sounds and audio devices everything in there including the card says it's working properly. The device manager also tells me that everything is working properly. I went to download the new creative driver and when installing gives me an error that says setup could not detect any sound blaster audigy 2 on my system and to make sure the hardware is installed properly and then exits.

So even though everything is telling me that the device is working properly it won't play any sounds and cant install the new driver.

Yeah that is a common problem with Creative devices. What OS are you running anyways? If it is Vista or Win7 you might be outta luck as Creative didnt make fully compatible and working drivers for those devices. They want people to spend the money and upgrade to the X-Fi or better devices that they sell. For Vista/Win7 you will have to see if you can find DanielK drivers. I have used them myself in the past on both OS's and they work perfectly. It is only the drivers from Creative themselves that give this error. Only way to solve it is by checking on their site for the workaround. I dont remember what it is off hand anymore.

Could always just plug in your sound to the onboard.

Yea i'm running xp. Would removing the card automatically switch the sound to onboard?

Ok I still DO have the yellow ! in my device manager under "other devices" where it reads as "audio device on high definition audio bus". And also have it under sound video and game controllers next to Microsoft kernel acoustic echo canceller. I tried to right click and update the drivers and both say they can't run the update

That other device that they are showing is the Sound Blaster. I would run the CD if you still have it. That should install the drivers and let you install the updated drivers from Creative directly after you get the ones from the CD installed. If you dont have the CD then it will be a little more difficult.

If you remove the sound card it would default to the onboard.

Ok well I give up. Installed the disk and it did nothing. Installed Via hd audio driver and did nothing. At this point in my device manager There are no yellow ! anywhere except for on "Microsoft kernel acoustic echo canceller".

"audio device on high definition audio bus" under other devices stopped even showing up after i installed the via hd audio driver and rebooted. My creative soundblaster audigy 2 shows up under sound video and game controllers and is working fine. I'm out of ideas

Have you made sure that all the jacks are in the right plugs? Have you made sure that in the control panel under sound that everyrhing is set properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom