Sound Interference - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
TMT
True Techie

Default Sound Interference

Hi!

Recently a problem has cropt up with my sound. I'm not sure why, and I'm not sure how. I'd just like to know how to solve it, since it's a bit annoying.

Whenever I'm reading/transferring data from my CD drive it interferes with my audio. This includes playing a CD-DA as well. The interference sounds like little cuts in the sound, and it also seems to be in synchronisation with the CD drive read-light.

My thoughts are that it may be some kind of IRQ interference, but why would my CD drive and/or sound card all-of-a-sudden use a different IRQ? I'm not sure about it...

Anyway, does anyone know any ways of fixing this?

Thanks.
TMT.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Whats the cpu usage at the time?

Old 03-28-2005, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

try reinstalling the drivers for the sound

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 03-28-2005, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Systems Engineer

Send a message via AIM to Crysalis

You can't really solve this problem. MANY MANY people have this problem and there is no real solution for it. The best i can come up with is to mute CD audio in windows PLAYBACK mixer.

Mute CD Audio. This wont affect cd playback as windows media and all other players use the Wave section... why? Because MS sucks.

This should solve your problem. If not, then try reseating the sound card and all your cables. It could also be an IRQ conflict as you said, which is barely possible to solve as well. You could change the PCI slot that your soundcard is in, unless its onboard (OMG! dont get me started on onboard)... then your stuck.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
TMT
True Techie

It's not just CD-Audio (CD-DA), though. It's any type of data activity of the CD drive that distorts the sound.

Thanks.
TMT.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
TMT
True Techie

Well, it was the transfer mode as I suspected.

I did a format, and all is resolved. I'm now transferring in DMA mode and sound interference/sluggish transfer rates have gone. It must have been some kind of software fault with Windows. For some reason it was locking the drive in PIO Mode.

If anybody knows how to force DMA without formatting, that would be great... Especially for others facing this problem, considering doing the big format.

Thanks.
TMT.

Closed Thread