Sound Card Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencerexe

Solid State Member
Alright, I'm about at my wits' end. I have an old-school(ish) DELL XPS 600 system. It was given to me as a present back when the XPS line-up was new.

So I've done everything imaginable to this thing, and my most recent of endeavors was running Ubuntu Intrepid(8.10) on it.

I eventually grew tired of the incompatibility and switched back to its ORIGINAL OS using the OS installation disk DELL distributes with their systems.

Now, the only hardware I have changed on this system is the video card, which is now an nVidia GeForce 8800 GT.

But after reinstalling Windows XP Media Center, it refuses to detect my sound card, which is the same as it was the day it was built. A Creative Audigy 2.

I've tried everything, enabling/disabling integrated sound in BIOS, I've tried running all kinds of drivers, but the drivers are useless because my machine doesn't detect the card.

BIOS says it's there, when I look under the PCI slot listings it says "PCI Slot 6: Audio, Input, Firewire." Yet Windows refuses to detect it.

I don't know what to do anymore, and I'm really getting sick of not having sound.

Can anyone help me? Anyone at all?

Oh, and I've tried switching PCI slots. I've tried every single available one. And I doubt they've *all* gone bad.

No one can help me?

Have you tried uninstalling it through Device Manager (as well as uninstalling all its drivers) and then rebooting to let Windows re-detect it "for the first time"? This solves many such issues.

Also, you may have to uninstall the onboard sound to use the card.

The thing is, I've never had this problem before.

This was a box set, and I'm using not only the same hardware but the same software as when it was built.

Why are there problems now?

And how do I disable the drivers for on board sound? I know how to disable it in BIOS, but I can't seem to find any drivers at all...

disable it in the bios then reinstall. you mess the old setting up when you change OS. sometime it takes me 3 installs of creative software before xp recognizes it. make sure you have the right creative drivers too

I have done all of these suggestions, Windows XP will not recognize the **** card.

I've tried everything.

I've deleted/reinstalled everything under the sun.

Nothing.

I'm getting so desperate...I just want sound!

Every time it scans, it just calls it "Multimedia Audio Controller," and then another one called "PCI Input Device." Since that sound card does both those things, I'm assuming they belong to the same device.

But XP just will not recognize it!

yes it will. you just got to be patient. it happen to me everytime I reinstall xp and I have the right driver. then we I finally get ready to give up it will find it.

you need to tell us what step that you followed after we gave you advice. did you try the device manager way? what driver are you using? dell or creative's. creative do have different drivers for similar cards. their audigy 2 and and 2zs have 2 totally different drivers. look on the card tell us exactly what it says

yes it will. you just got to be patient. it happen to me everytime I reinstall xp and I have the right driver. then we I finally get ready to give up it will find it.

you need to tell us what step that you followed after we gave you advice. did you try the device manager way? what driver are you using? dell or creative's. creative do have different drivers for similar cards. their audigy 2 and and 2zs have 2 totally different drivers. look on the card tell us exactly what it says

The card is an Audigy 2. I tried to get the drivers from Creative, but they were corrupted on download every time.

I found drivers for the Audigy 2 on DELL's website, but when I run it, it says I don't have an Audigy 2 even though I have physically pulled the card out and looked at it.

I uninstalled through Device manager in normal mode, and safe mode. Whenever the Hardware Detector comes up, it just lists the following:

"Multimedia Audio Controller"
"Multimedia Audio Controller"
"PCI Input Device"
"USB Audio Device"

I believe the USB Audio is my microphone, which I'll deal with later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom