Is something wrong

RobertThurman

Beta member
Hi recently I tried doing a system restore on windows 8 and after going through the process of waiting, I received a message upon reboot namely this "System Restore did not complete successfully, Your computer's files and settings were not changed.
Details;
System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer . Temporally disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore, (0x80070005)"
anyway I panicked and went to undo the last change made(if one was in fact made) via system restore , but the same thing happened I repeated this procedure a few times trying to restore to the same point and then undoing the operation (I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) to which it just kept giving the same error message after going through a short process and rebooting each time.
I was wondering could any of this possibly of corrupted my files, deleted files, or wrecked anything in any way, my computer my programs, anything the file system or links I was told that doing the system restore over and over is not a good idea and can lead to filesystem failure and problem with links but I did get an error saying nothing was changed.
also I should include As far as I can remember the restore process said something about restoring registry each time, which only took a short time.
I need to know from proffesionals like you if I have done anything wrong and if so how to reverse it.

Actually the process I took was
1. tried to restore computer to a previous state
2. did not work so tried again
3. worried I had in fact damaged something so undid the operation
4. Tried restoring again after rebooting
5. still did not work so undid the operation again

the whole time I received the same error saying your computers files and setting were not changed.
Can you help calm my mind please.

I guess the question that I would ask would be: is your system running? I.e., are you able to boot into Windows, run all your programs/access files, etc. without receiving errors?

Why did you run System Restore in the first place?

I guess the question that I would ask would be: is your system running? I.e., are you able to boot into Windows, run all your programs/access files, etc. without receiving errors?

Why did you run System Restore in the first place?

Yes it is running, I am able to boot into windows, I have'nt tried all my programs but still have a lot to try, some of the programs run a bit slow(only a bit) but I think they run that way before what do you mean by access files.

Have only had one error, but I think its a glitch in the program itself not the OS.
Other than that no errors what so ever.

I did the system restore originally because I accidently deleted a system file, it was uninstalled with a program I uninstalled.

I'm just worried there might be something wrong with the filesystem or links in the OS, I'm worried some of my files might of been corrupted or the drivers.

The reason I did the system restore so much is because of my OCD.

Thanks for your help :)

Yes it is running, I am able to boot into windows, I have'nt tried all my programs but still have a lot to try, some of the programs run a bit slow(only a bit) but I think they run that way before what do you mean by access files.

Access files as in open/view them.

Have only had one error, but I think its a glitch in the program itself not the OS.
Other than that no errors what so ever.

I did the system restore originally because I accidently deleted a system file, it was uninstalled with a program I uninstalled.

What system file did you delete? And if it was a system file, it shouldn't have been uninstalled with a program.

I'm just worried there might be something wrong with the filesystem or links in the OS, I'm worried some of my files might of been corrupted or the drivers.

The reason I did the system restore so much is because of my OCD.

Thanks for your help :)

You can run a chkdsk on the drive, and a system file check if you want.

Start > type cmd > right click > Run as Admin > type in:

sfc /scannow

and press Enter

After that, if it doesn't find anything wrong, run a chkdsk (same Command Prompt):

chkdsk c: /f /r

PRess Enter, and it will say it cannot lock current drive, and ask to run on next reboot. Type Y, press Enter, and reboot.

Back
Top Bottom