some questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default some questions

Hello

For the past few weeks, Limewire randomly starts up on my computer. It can be running fine and suddenly it'l start opening up. I've checked my settings for it and I dont see anything that would cause it to start like this. Any ideas?

Even more mystifying is that over the last 2 weeks or so, if my computer is inactive for a fairly short period of time, I think 10 mins or maybe even less, it'll go back to the XP login screen. Thankfully from that screen it doesnt take that long to get back in, but the 30 secs or whatever it does take, all told, is quite annoying. I hate watching a movie and suddenly seeing it quit to that and having to just wait there all this time.

Any advice?

Thanks
Daanish

You want the best? Here I am
Old 12-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Limewire is evil. Sounds like somebody has changed your screen saver settings. Do some scans for malware pronto.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

check the settings in your screensaver tab in desktop properties (powersave options are usually at the bottom)

as for the limewire, superdave is right, PURE evil. I'd recommend an uninstall immediately!
Case:NZXT Trinity Silver PSU:Apevia Aspire 500W UV Green Motherboard:Asus A8N-SLI CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500 CPU Cooler:Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Video:2x eVga nVidia GeForce 6800XT (256MB DDR) RAM:2Gig (4x512 Corsair TwinX dual channel) HDD:160Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA, 200Gig Maxtor SATA III CD/DVD:LG DVD ROM, NEC 16XDVD+-RW
(\__/) This is Bunny. Put him in your
(='.'=) signature and help him on his way
(")_(") to world domination
Old 12-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

aight done the uninstall. whats wrong with it tho, it never gave me problems in the past?

in the power everything looks OK to me. of course im not sure what im looking for. i dont mind the monitor shutting off, what i do mind it going back to the logon screen. to be honest im not sure if i have one or two users on this computer <sheepish grin> i think its one but i could have two. but at this login screen i just see my name, i just have to click on it again to get back. its just the irritation of going back and forth.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

When you open the power options, check to see how long before it shuts off your monitor,hard disks, and how long till system standby.Then click the hibernate tab and see if nibernation is enabled. To turn the Welcome screen on or off Open User Accounts in Control Panel. Click Change the way users log on or off. Do one of the following:
To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box.
A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.

To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.
The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.

To open User Accounts, click Start, Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.
Fast User Switching is available only when the Welcome screen is turned on.

(Some info was plagiarized from the windows "help" section)

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Go to Control Panel, then Power Options.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

thanks guys!

i dont think this is a monitor issue tho, is it? im more concerned about why it exits to the login screen from the desktop.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

It sounds to me like it is going into standby or hibernation. You may also have a screen saver that opens the login screen. Disable hibernation and set standby to never and see what that does.

Closed Thread