some help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

psydesign

In Runtime
hey guys when i go into my task manager and have a look at the cpu usage. the cpu usage is shown in green but then there is also a red bar that gos over the green what is this?

also i keep getting told my windows page file memory is to low what does this mean?

The red you see is kernel usage. It's showing how much of the CPU is being used to run the core of the operating system. You can turn that off by clicking view and unticking "show kernel times". Here is a site that explains all about Task Manager.

Effective Use of Task Manager

Windows Page File is "virtual ram". Your PC will set aside a certain amount of hard drive space to use as "virtual memory". It runs much slower then physical RAM. The general rule of thumb is to set it to 1.5 X the amount of physical RAM you have. So 1 gig of ram you would set your page file to 1500 megs or so.

You set your page file by
>> right click my computer
>> choose properties
>> advanced, look under performance
>> settings
>> advanced
>> virtual memory
>> change

If you have a relatively low amount of physical RAM to begin with your best option would be to install more RAM. As stated earlier, virtual RAM is much slower then physical RAM.

thanks for the reply :) so if my cpu is running at 44% and my kernal is running at 33% is that ok?

Your quite welcome. :) Depending on what your doing at the time I would say your fine. CPU usage can jump and spike from the tiniest of things. Unless your experiencing crashes or freezes on a regular basis you should be ok.

I haven't noticed any performance loss if that's what you mean. Curiously enough, with system manage it set it just over 1.5 X, I'm at 1535 and it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom