Software for XP that logs monthly download amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Average Joe

Solid State Member
Hi,

My modem tells me what I download in any one session but when it powers down it scrubs it's memory (AFAIK). I'd love a softare that would monitor the amount of traffic and I could perhaps bring up a graph of my previous months internet activity.

Is there anything like this?

Cheers

You can do this yourself. Just keep track of what you have downloaded and what size and just add it up. Use a excel worksheet and make it up.

I have done this in the past to see how much i have downloaded. I once got over 500GB in a single month.

As for apps that do it. Dont know.

Yeah thought of that mate but it's a bit of a pain, might try it and see how it goes if I don't find software. Unfortunately I get the odd time where my connection briefly goes down as well - this puts the modem stats back to zero so unless I know what had been downloaded I lose the info.

Cheers

lol, doing it yourself is impossible if you use streaming, conferencing or filesharing apps of any kind.

I use WinBar to track upload/download speed, and hovering over the UL/DL indicators will display a tooltip that tells you how many MB total you have downloaded since it was last reset. Just reset it once a month to keep track of monthly bandwidth useage.

EDIT: Link to WinBar: WinBar | a freeware system monitoring utility

Nice one cheers Cunjo (better make sure I spell that right!).

I've actually decided to program my own, at the moment I have the source code for an app that monitors traffic and I'm gonna add some more functionality to it. I'll have the basics of it done soon like logging of a months traffic but I want to be able to display graphs and have a good interface.

I'll still check out your reccommendation though, thanks.

There are already alot of these out there. Generally called Bandwidth monitors for the people who have to watch how much they use because of a cap.s

Rokario Software - Free Bandwidth Monitor

There are literally hundreds of them around the net various places. Alot of ISPs offering metered plans even have their own.

Thanks again, I knew of bandwidth monitors but I didn't know they logged usage. Well I'm a newb programmer so I'm still gonna make my own and hopefully learn some cool stuff along the way.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom