Software to use when reinstalling Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domestic

In Runtime
How often do you reinstall windows and what kind of software do you use to make the process efficient and get you back up and running as soon as possible.
For example, whats the best way to get around having to reinstall games/Microsoft office etc.
Also, is there a way to back up service packs?
Thanks

Well honestly if you want to get around all of it. Make a image. FOG, CloneZilla, Acronis True Image will be the best bet. At the same time with having all of that stuff installed previously, you better have a decent amount of space, a external drive and make a bootable CD to be able to restore the image. Cause it will be large.

Personally I go through the process of installing everything manually. I install the SP, Games, Office and all my software one by one after a format. It doesnt bother me.

I like to use an app to back up my drivers before I format, just to save that bother. I have used DriverMax for this, but there are others that are probably better. I always reinstall my graphics drivers, though, as they don't transfer very well.

To make things simple to me. Start with putting another hard drive in your computer. When u r n vista rename it downloads/saves/programs/ etc. copy most of your files over like your saves for your games the new games will always be in my documents folder. copy your Microsoft office, drivers, d-tools whatever app u use to your backup hard drive. when u have all transferred over u can go download offline install service packs for vista. save them 2 your backup hard-drive.when u have it all setup, it will simply be a matter of click and wait every time you need 2 re-install. And i personally like to re-install every 6 months. I am a heavy gamer and when i notice my games starting to slow down a little i format.

(on a personal note it is a heck of alot easier to make a image or use a another program to do this. Norton ghost usually works but i have been having problems getting past the logon screen in windows xp. so i really dont know how it will perform with vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom