Software tool for windows startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandiani

Beta member
Hi guys,
my friend aske me to help him. His trouble is that when windows is just started there is a lot of processor activity (95 %) and a lot of hard disk activity. Also computer performance is pretty much slow. I know that the easiest way is to just format c. and then install win XP again. I checked for viruses and spyware and the comp is clean (no viruses or spyware found). I wonder if there is some software to help me identify what processes or services are causing a lot of CPU and disk activity? I can see what processes are running through task manager, but I need description about what processes are system important and what are not. Maybe there is some software tool that technicians use to identify problems. I simply don't belive that this kind of problems are solved by format c:

Thanks for help

Start/run, type "msconfig". Uncheck everything there except essentials like antivirus...then reboot.

The essentials in task manager are explorer.exe and svchost.exe. Not sure about the rest. But I shut down anything that i recognize as a program i have. If there are memory intensive programs running there, google search them and that will tell you what they are. I dont worry about the little ones running.

Also he will probably want to run an antivirus check, spyware check and ad-aware check. All these programs are free. Search these forums for more info.

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/index.html?ref=file.net

Security Task Manager displays detailed information about all running processes (applications, DLL's, BHO's and services). For each process, it improves on Windows Task Manager, providing:
file name and directory path
security risk rating
description
start time
CPU usage graph
embedded hidden functions
e.g. keyboard monitoring, browser supervision or manipulation
type of process
e.g. visible window, systray program, DLL, IE-plugin, service
The Security Task Manager recognizes also virtual driver software, services, BHO and other processes hidden from the Windows task manager.

Warez Monster said:
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/index.html?ref=file.net

Security Task Manager displays detailed information about all running processes (applications, DLL's, BHO's and services). For each process, it improves on Windows Task Manager, providing:
file name and directory path
security risk rating
description
start time
CPU usage graph
embedded hidden functions
e.g. keyboard monitoring, browser supervision or manipulation
type of process
e.g. visible window, systray program, DLL, IE-plugin, service
The Security Task Manager recognizes also virtual driver software, services, BHO and other processes hidden from the Windows task manager.

That looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom