Software Paritions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightShade01

Baseband Member
I'm reading this book about Software partitions and RAID's and in one chapter the author says that windows 2000 and windows XP support software RAID's 0 and 1 but not 5. In the next chapter he says that with windows 2000 and XP Pro you can create dynamic disks which you can form into a RAID with parity (isn't that a RAID 5?) so which one is right? does XP support RAID 5 or no?

its my understanding that no it doesnt but i did find this.

Limbering up WindowsXP in order to run RAID 5 requires a hex editor (e.g. Ultra Edit) as well as your WindowsXP CD.

I have server config for raid 5 (6 17 gig 15,000 rpm seagate scsi drives) and it has xp on it and it's broken in to 3 partitions (the 6 drives show up as 1 85 gig drive with 1 drive hidden)

NightShade01 said:
I'm reading this book about Software partitions and RAID's and in one chapter the author says that windows 2000 and windows XP support software RAID's 0 and 1 but not 5. In the next chapter he says that with windows 2000 and XP Pro you can create dynamic disks which you can form into a RAID with parity (isn't that a RAID 5?) so which one is right? does XP support RAID 5 or no?

Read this site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343/

But you can, take a look http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/19/using_windowsxp_to_make_raid_5_happen/

Thanks for all the info guys. I found this in the article on microsoft's site that was suggested:

"You cannot create mirrored volumes or RAID-5 volumes on Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP 64-Bit Edition-based computers. However, you can use a Windows XP Professional-based computer to create a mirrored or RAID-5 volume on remote computers that are running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server. You must have administrative privileges on the remote computer to do this."

This would explain more clearly what the author of the book was trying to say and makes alot more sense now. Thanks for the quick feedback though!!

What Eric is using is a hardware RAID solution..and what M$ is saying is that Windows XP doesn't support RAID 5 through it's disk management software. And Tom's hardware is showing you that XP is capable with a few tweaks. :bald:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom