Software Install Problem, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hello All,

I picked up a copy of Norton Antivirus to throw on my second PC. I pop in the CD and select install and nothing happens. I tried the disk on my PC and it goes to install just fine. Only difference between the 2 pc's is that the 2nd one has Service Pack 2 installed. I tried to install the disk via safe mode, but it tells me I must be in standard mode. Any ideas how to get this thing to install or why it won't? I tried manually running the norton start file and avoiding auto loader, no difference.

extract the main file with winrar, after you paste it to your hard drive. I had to do that once, last year when I was still using norton. I had the same problem as you

Dag nabbit, that didn't work either. I popped the CD in my laptop with SP2 on it and it ALSO fired up just fine. This is ridiculous. ANy other ideas on what is preventing this from running?

Out of curiosity, last time I tried to update windows on this PC (It's my wifes) it said that I had a invalid serial. I do actually own XP, it came with the PC. Could this somehow be preventing me from installing any other software? I only ask because when I select the file and try to run it as an administrator I get "
login failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restirctions, or a policy restriction has been enforced."

I can understand if Microsoft would prevent you from getting updates until you verify your serial, but it wouldn't stop you from installing other software, would it?

you lucky that they didn't lock your computer completely. they have done that before.

if you want to fix it, delete that hard drive with powermax and reinstall windows. MS put something in your bootsector and the xp cd won't clean it.

I have like 90 gigs of data on that hard disk, no way I can just wipe it. That's freakin ridiciulous that they can do something like that. So that's likely what is happening? I'm calling them tomorrow, my XP pro CD is staring me in the face with the serial number. That really ticks me off!

Oddly enough everything on the PC runs fine. Norton was just the first application I have tried to install since they gave me that message. Serves me right for downloading SP2. I should have not done THAT until it was forced upon me.........

You know, am I jumping the gun on the Microsoft is evil kick? I just tried to install 5 other apps and they worked just fine, yet this Norton will not run............

since everything else is fine I would back that data up to cd or dvd and I'll keep running it since everything else is fine. use avast. it's a better antivirus anyway and free. but if it get worse I would consider a format.

you can also try a 3rd party firewall and don't let MS product access the internet. I have an issue with my NVTV hardware tv encoder. it wouldn't let me istall the drivers (I had reinstalled the drivers and windows a few times). after I cussed EVGA out, the sent me a link telling me how to disable installashield from accessing the internet (it was blocking me from install the drivers). they had some seriously vague instructions and when I called them back, they didn't understand them either.

so I install nvidia firewall and blocked installashield from accessing the internet. Viola, I could now install the nvtv drivers.

Thanks, Eric. I am going to try out Avast. Any other ideas why just this Symantex product will not launch? I hate to sound obsessive, but I really hate just not figuring something out =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom