software disabled sound card in xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enderw

Beta member
So my laptop, when i plug headphones into the jack, the audio plays in both my headphones, and out through my laptops built in speakers.

is there a way via software or something in the device manager i can mess with to disable the speakers, but keep the jack working?

(i never use the laptops speakers, its almost 100% headphones, so i dont care if its permanently turned off)

is there an easy software fix for this?

well, its from 2004. it doesnt have any special audio software installed. it just uses the little speaker in the sys tray.

When you plug in a headphone it should auto disable the speakers. Every system i have every used all the way back to 1990 did that. Get updated drivers.

When you plug in a headphone it should auto disable the speakers. Every system i have every used all the way back to 1990 did that. Get updated drivers.

Isn't the design of the jack that when you plug it in, the audio line gets cut off physically and is connected to the plugs?

Not necessarily. The sound jack on a laptop isnt the same as it is on a desktop or tower. The sound jack can be located on the other side of the laptop where the mother board and other components are not located.

So this would result in there having to be some sort of switch that is hit when inserting the jack at that point. Which i can honestly say i have not come across in my time that i know of. So there should be something with the drivers that recognize that there is something plugged into the jack and cuts the sound to the speakers.

well, it just stopped working, so i dont think its the driver.

i also dont think it was something i clicked, because i never touch any of the audio properties, just the volume control in itunes.

i also tried using the laptops FN button but it muted both headphone jack and the speakers.

i honestly think its a hardware problem. which is why i was looking for another method to turn the speakers off via software, without disconnecting them.

For a laptop there is no hardware or software way to turn them off. Unless you disable them thru the Control Panel. but then you basically turn off yoru sound overall.

I have already explained how this is most likely not a hardware problem when related to laptops. Because of their setup there is no way that they can split the wires like peter suggested. It is jsut not gonna work that way having wires going across a laptop inner area like that.

What stopped working? You say the sound comes out of both your headphones and teh speakers. So it could jsut be that you didnt plug in the headphones far enough to disable the speakers. Could be your headphones jack is coming loose.

There is nothign wrong with checking for updated drivers. But if you go the route via the control panel and turn off the speakers you most likely will turn off all sounds and defeat the purpose. But if you can turn off jsut the speakers and still get sound via the headphones remember to turn the speakers back on when you are done. Wouldnt want you back here saying you are not getting sound out of your speakers. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom