Software for data synchronization between XP/Vista PC's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LincolnX

Baseband Member
I would like to backup my data on multiple XP/Vista computers. It's important that the software has a clear GUI. I find it difficult to find a data synchronization tool which will do this job because most software synchronize software between PDA's and PC's or require a server OS like Windows 2003 or *NIX.

Okay now i am confused. You want to backup XP/Vista machines but then you go on to talk about PDA's? So what are you really doing? Backing up the PC's or syncing PDA's to them?? Cause that is 2 totally different problems.

As for backups that can be accomplished with several types of applications. Can use Acronis which you can do full backups or incremental backups. That would be your best bet in that situation.

As for PDA syncing you are out of luck on this one. Because each PDA is unique and uses different software there is no way to get each PDA to use 1 type of software that is easy to sync with a PC.

Like my PDA (internet tablet actually) is a Nokia N800 which uses Linux. I cant sync it with Windows easily cause of this. It will be the same if you try to sync Palm's with Windows. There is no clear cut software that will work across the board.

I would like to backup my personal data such as word documents, digital photo's, etc. Since more data is added or modified weekly, these backups need to be updated frequently and they need to be made on the other computers in my network. Two of these PC's have Windows XP installed (PC1 and PC2). One has Windows Vista (PC3) installed.

PC1 (which is the PC where I work on) needs to sent the photo's/word documents to PC2 and PC3 so the data will be synchronized.

If the hard disk of PC1 will crash someday, my data will be safe on PC2 and PC3.

Like i stated i think acronis is the only way to go. But that is pure backup software. As for this syncing that you want to do. A incremental backup would accomplish this without having to send the info to 2 other PC's.

The only way you could maybe accomplish this is by setting up a server?? That way you can put those files on there and then work off the server? Honestly i dont know. I would think a backup done every other day or daily would be more than sufficent.

I like Ghost over Acronis, because doesn't Acronis back up the entire drive (including blank space)? Or am I wrong on this (thought I saw it mentioned one time), while Ghost only backs up the data and not blank space (this I know for sure because I use it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom