So should I get Vista or XP x64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poveren

Baseband Member
Computer will be used purely for gaming, videos, etc.

I'm tempted to get Vista because it enable DX10 and so forth but I heard that its got way too many annoing issues. Suggestions? Thanks.

Your search only included "Vista" Mr. Mak213 :)

"The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: vs, XP"

if you get vista and you have another XP pc than you can forget about any kind of networking or ics. but vista ultimate is my gaming platform

if you get vista and you have another XP pc than you can forget about any kind of networking or ics. but vista ultimate is my gaming platform

What? I have Vista and XP networked together. I have Vista networked with Linux. It isnt impossible. It is rather simple.

Thanks for that Mike. I didnt realize that the search didnt show those results. But i know that there are several threads in this area alone that have this topic.

how i've tried every thing. i have gotten ubuntu and vista to like each other but for some reason i could not get any kind of a network w/ xp and vista. let alone ics. mabye someday you can share your secret

Well, apart from Vista's most annoing features, does it decrease/increase overall performance?

I have Vista Ultimate 64, Ubuntu 8.04 x64, Mac OSX 10.5.2 on my laptop and I used to have XP Home 32 on it as well. I have to say, Vista is great. I used to HATE it....no, I used to despise it to the point where I swore I'd never upgrade. However, when I went to get my college laptop, the new shiny HP dv9700t's only came with Vista, so I decided to go for the best one available and to my surprise, Vista had really improved. My first experience with Vista was horrible, programs crashed, UAC was a huge annoyance, hardware failed, drivers didn't work, and graphics were horrible. However, it's a lot better now, and it actually runs games BETTER THAN XP. I had a significant FPS increase in Vista over XP (most people say the other way is true, but for me, Vista won).

As for networking, it works fine with XP, Ubuntu, OSX, other Linux distros, even 2000/98/95. The only downside with Vista is that you can't share things in your C:/Users folder without sharing the entire folder. That means you can't share C:/Users/yourname/Desktop/shared_stuff without sharing C:/Users and all the contents inside of it. Annoying because I used to share folders out of my Desktop on XP all the time, but not a huge deal, as you can make folders anywhere outside of C:/Users and share normally (I made a C:/My Documents, like 95/98 had, and it shares just fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom