SO MANY problems. Nothing works right! PLEASE someone help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL Tech

In Runtime
Ok I am having many various random problems with Windows XP home. I have been having these problems for about a month so two weeks ago I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows. Well the problems still exist!!!! I donÂ’t know how this is possible because I did a full reformat on my hard drive and thus the drive was erased clean. Last time I checked reformatting your drives and reinstalling Windows fixes 100% of software problems not related to a compatibility issue. So this one has severally stumped me.

Ok these are the main problems I am having.

When I try to shut down Windows sometimes I get this message:

windowscrashyp3.jpg

Directly after I get that message I get the “this program has encountered an error and needs to close” message and it lists Explorer as the program that needs to close. I am talking about the general error that asks if you want to send an error report and what not. After I click “don’t send report” I get my desktop again and I have to choose shut down again before it will shut down.

The next problem is that sometimes when I open one of my folders that has lost of video files in it I get this message:

foldercrashut0.jpg

And generally when I exit the message it pops right back up and I have to click close 15 times before it will go away. Sometimes it wonÂ’t go away until I close the folder with the videos.

The next problem I am having is that sometimes I will be doing something (anything) and the mouse pointer will randomly jump to somewhere on the monitor (generally in a corner). It will only do it once but its very annoying when playing games.

The next problem I am having is related to my dual monitors setup. I have things set up so that the start menu is on my left monitor and the right monitor is in the extended desktop mode. Well sometimes I will restart my computer and find that the start menu and desktop icons are on the right monitor. So I go into the display properties menu and for the life of me I canÂ’t get it to go back to the other monitor. So the only thing I can do is switch my monitor DVI cables.

WTF could possible be doing all this even after I completely reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows?

Here is a list of most of the programs that are on my computer now that was also on my computer before I reformatted the drive:

-MSN Messenger
-Yahoo Messenger
-Lime Wire Pro
-Aim Messenger
-Gaim
-F.E.A.R. Combat
-UltraMon
-Starcraft
-AVG Free
-Adaware SE
-Total Video player
-Windows Media Player 11
-Adobe Acrobat
-ATI Catalyst Control

Also my CPU is overclocked. Its OC’ed to 380 FSB or 3.04 GHz. However last night I ran ORTHOS for 9 hours and 9 minutes with the “blend” option selected and the system passed. It said:

Type: Blend - stress CPU and RAM Min: 8 Max: 4096 InPlace: No Mem: 1791 Time: 15
CPU: 3039MHz FSB: 380MHz [379MHz x 8.0 est.]
CPU: 3040MHz FSB: 380MHz [380MHz x 8.0 est.]
12/24/2006 4:36 PM
Launching 2 threads...
Using CPU #0
Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
Press Stop to end this test.

And when I stopped:
Torture Test ran 9 hours, 9 minutes 27 seconds - 0 errors, 0 warnings.

Also my ram is underclocked to 740 MHz. To keep a 1:1 ratio. The PCI-E slot is locked at 100 MHz. And the GPU is not OCÂ’ed.

The computer I am using is listed in my signature.

adobe audition can cause this problem. limewire is a problem also. you might have a bootsector virus too. reformatting won't fix that

Lets try this.

Reformat again this time using a Windows 98 OEM bootdisk. You need to Fdisk and Format it.

The install XP and let it format again.

After XP is installed check to see if these issue still occur with no over clocking, no extra program installed besides what XP came with, no updates, no drivers, and no service packs only if the service pack was downloaded as an update but if it was built into the XP installation dont worry about this.

Next install your drivers one by one, reboot, and see if you can replicate the error. Do the above procedure till all drivers are installed, then continue beow

Now try to access your games or music and see if the error message still appears. Once you have tried everything that the error usually came up on, start with the windows updates. After each reboot from the updates, check everything out again to see if you can replicate the error. If you cant, go with the next set of updates. Do the procedure above each time your computer reboots till there are no more updates.

If the error still does not appear, its time to install programs. Start with your antivirus and again after its installed, reboot, and see if you can again try to replicate the error. Do the same thing for each program. Just start with other common programs like Office, antivirus, spyware programs first, then install other apps like Nero, Daemon Tools, etc. Those usually will have a bigger chance of messing something up on your system while the add drivers, dlls, virtual drives, unknown file formats, etc etc.

Now after everything is installed and running and no issues to report, go to start run, type msconfig, go to the startup tab and click on disable all, but then go back and recheck or antivirus, click apply and ok and then reboot. You will then get the system configuration utility, just put a check mark in the box and click ok and it wont come up anymore when you reboot.

Now try to replicate the error again. If it still doesnt happen, go back to over clocking little by little, reboot, and try to make the error appear. After you have overclocked to where you want it and nothing happens, go do whatever else you need to do to yor system but follow the same process.

What we are trying to do here is pin it down to a certain program, tweak, update, etc to see what the problem is.

If it happens when you install a program, overclock, update, etc, rollback/uninstall whatever it is that you did, reboot and see if it happens again.

I seriously doubt that its a virus, but I could be wrong

Lets us know how it goes.

Warez I canÂ’t do all that. For one I donÂ’t have a Windows 98 boot disc and I cant get one unless I want to buy Windows 98.

Second of all, of course I wonÂ’t have the problems because the things that I have problems wonÂ’t exist with nothing installed.

I wonÂ’t have a problem with the dual monitors because with no drivers, dual monitors cannot be supported.

I wont have the problem with the error with the opening of my music, because the files wont exist if I reformat both drives.

As far as the other two problems, well I have gone over a week before with nothing really installed on my computer and I never had the problem with the mouse or Windows crashing.

As far as the OC goes, well ORTHOS said I was stable so what else is there to question with it?

So let me know what you think Warez.

I do have some new problems to add though.

I have even more problems to add. Now in addition to the previous problems I also have:

The start menu keeps switching monitors. I had to switch the DVI cables not for the second time in tow days. Also now some of my desktop icons are gone. I just restarted the computer and half the icons are gone.

I already checked for viruses and adware / spyware and I got nothing.

EricB said:
adobe audition can cause this problem. limewire is a problem also. you might have a bootsector virus too. reformatting won't fix that
I have never downloaded Adobie Audition. Just Adobie Reader / Acrobat.

How do I clear and/ or scan the bootsector?

Well to let you know, sometimes an overclock can cause problems. Just put all hardware back to stock settings and see if the problems presist.

lancec2c30 said:
Well to let you know, sometimes an overclock can cause problems. Just put all hardware back to stock settings and see if the problems presist.

true. I forgot to mention that part.

most people OC all of the time. they forget that the whole purpose of of OC was for temporary purposes, for little things such as gaming

if you do a search around here you will find many people in your boat. they want to OC all of the time, then they complain when the system crashes or messes up

The whole point in me typing that post was to find the culprit.

1. Here is a Windows 98 bootdisk as in Floppy http://www.dehning.com/download/utilities/bootdisks/boot98.exe

2. Second of all, of course I wonÂ’t have the problems because the things that I have problems wonÂ’t exist with nothing installed.

I wonÂ’t have a problem with the dual monitors because with no drivers, dual monitors cannot be supported.

I wont have the problem with the error with the opening of my music, because the files wont exist if I reformat both drives. <-- those statements are not supporting your issue. If you are overclocking, dont over clock. Your VC, does your mobo support your VC or are their any known issues with the two? Maybe you need a BIOS update.

The BIOS is fully updated. Whats the VC? I turned the overclock off. However things are VERY slow!!!! As slow as my $300 Dell. I donÂ’t know why. Its ridiculous. It seems like I am on my Dell again.... Everything is effected including my Internet. My 4 mbps connection is running as slow as a 512 kbps connection because the computer is not loading the sites fast enough. There is nothing in the system tray other then drivers and what not and nothing is on start up other then AVG. I have 1.6 Gb. of RAM free just sitting in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom