So I noticed something funny under Vista yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
This may be somehwhat difficult to explain and I hope I can explain it ok...

The last rig I had is very similar to my current one, only this time I'm running 4gigs, 2 video cards, and 64-bit Vista.

When I exited out of Supreme Commander I believe, and had IE up and I was downloading a WoW patch (Yes, I took the plunge haha), I noticed under system resources the computer was using 2.11 GB or something.

Now before, when I was running 2gigs of Crucial Ballistix, at the same timings and speed, I don't think I ever saw it reach higher then 1.5GB after exiting out of a game, and having IE up and downloading something. (Yes, I know, Firefox FTW, It's what I use on my laptop, I don't use my gaming rig for internet use really)

Since the extra RAM is there, does windows use the memory more efficiently or what?

I mean, doing two similar things, on two similar systems, but it takes up more memory on the 4GB system then the 2GB? Is that weird at all? I mean I'm glad to see it using as much as it can, but I guess I'm just curious how Vista 64-bit uses RAM and how efficiently. Anyone know much about it?

Vista will try to load as much as it can into RAM. It will eventualy learn what programs you use the most, and will try and have them ready and loaded in RAM....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom