So i formatted my comp....

Status
Not open for further replies.

espplayer7

Solid State Member
I called my cable company because my wireless internet says its connected yet i cant get online and when i look at my ip it says that its 0.0.0.0.0 so the guy said something must of gone wrong with the windows installation. I dont think thats entirely accurate so im wondering what i can do? i have the right drivers and tried resetting the modem and nothing happened

so does the router do NAT? It sounds like the Router isnt giving out IP addresses but in most cases Windows will give an 169.244.x.x if it can get an IP. A few things is check the properties of TCP/IP and make sure its set to automatic. CHeck the Network card is working under device manger. I asume your running wireless so try plugging the PC or laptop into a port in the router or AP.

Try plugging it into the ethernet port on your laptop instead of wireless to see if you can get an IP that way for a test of DHCP on the router.

If you are using a wireless router you may have WEP turned on and the computer may not have the key code. That will cause no address.

turn off the wireless on the pc, reset the router, turn the router off for a minute, turn it back on

Pasta_Dog said:
If you are using a wireless router you may have WEP turned on and the computer may not have the key code. That will cause no address.

yes this is very true check that it doesnt say "limited or no connectivity" if this is true then most probably the network key...has your internet worked before using this same setup?

Yeh I had this problem, reset the router and you should be fine, usually a little button on the back, hold it down for 10-30 seconds or whatever your router's manufacturer recommends.

Note: this will reset your router to its default factory settings, once this is done and you have established a connection to go 192.168.1.1 or whatever the default IP address of your router is and change the WEP to make your network secure.

Alternatively if you don't want to have to re-do your settings and know what you're doing just power down the router, power it back up and navigate to your router's control panel (default passwords usually admin/admin or just admin or sometimes the manufacturers name e.g. linksys).
Once your there go the DHCP page and check it is turned on and change WEP writing down the new key.

See if your wireless connection picks up the signal enterring the correct WEP.

I had this problem and for me it was due to a DHCP problem - at the time I was actually trying to connect a wireless router to a wired router where the connection came in and because the DHCP was turned off at the wireless and on at the wired it gave me some "limited connectivity" problems but I soon sorted it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom