Snake Oil or Liquid Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

syringe

In Runtime
A couple of days ago my Daughter went to best buy and purchased a laptop. A day or so later She asked me if my recently purchased Dell B1300 is 64 bit or 32 bit. My initial response was "beats the Sxxx out of me". She says the salesman (key word here I think) told Her that 32 bit softeware will be a thing of the past and that She needed a laptop with a high dollar 64 bit AMD processor. I went off in search of info and according to what I saw on the Microsoft web site, The 64 bit version of Windows is being released for high-end users who pull the heavy load, and not for home users. So, it appears that She has a 64 bit processor with a 32 bit operating system(XP Home), and will gain nothing from the 64 bit processor. Was the Best Buy guy selling snake oil or liquid gold?

blitzkrieg1 said:
He was making commision...

plus he was telling the truth within a few years it will be all 64bit plus 64 bit isnt that much more now then 32 bit.

syringe said:
...Was the Best Buy guy selling snake oil or liquid gold?
You're diving into a very large issue here, that will require some knowledge on your part.

The world is slowly (but undeniably) heading towards the 64bit realm. Today, it is mostly surperfluous, and most applications (nearly all for the average home user) are only 32bit.

I would recommend you do some research to familiarize yourself with the 32bit and 64bit "realms," as it is going to be an increasingly relavent issue. The BestBuy guy was about 50/50, in that he was likely trying to make commission off of the higher-priced processor, but at the same time he is right in that it is going to be more common in days to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom