sluggish performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
my computer is about 5 years old, which i realize means it would work slowly. i think its working even more slowly than it did recently though, or even compared w/ last year. there is no reason for it to get slower afterall - the software is the same. any ideas? it doesnt appear to be virus / spyware. perhaps something in the startup etc? how could i check / analyze, or what can i do to make it faster (without purchasing new hardware - though i could put in a small thing here or there if that would help).

this is a p4 2.19 w/ 768 RAM btw.

cheers
Dan

Do the following steps in this order:
1. Scan for viruses, if you don't have a current AV program install something free like AVG
2. Scan for spyware, again if you don't have something yo uare paying for download sypbotS&D
3. Run a disk cleanup (under start->programs->accessories->system tools). Check every box but the one dealing with office
4. Restart your computer
5. Run disk defrag, again it is under system tools
6. Restart your computer
7. Run error-checking (click my computer->right click your C drive and go to properties->click the tools tab). Check both boxes and restart the computer

See if that helps. I realize this is remedial stuff, but if you don't have a virus and it was fine a month ago, more than likely you just need to clean the system.

He said it seems like he doesnt. Plus as we have seen scanning with just 1 piece of software and saying you are clean is never 100% accurate.

Do the following steps in this order:
1. Scan for viruses, if you don't have a current AV program install something free like AVG
2. Scan for spyware, again if you don't have something yo uare paying for download sypbotS&D
3. Run a disk cleanup (under start->programs->accessories->system tools). Check every box but the one dealing with office AND COMPRESS OLD FILES AS THAT TAKE TOO LONG. PICK THE MORE OPTION THERE AND DELETE ALL BUT THE MOST RECENT RESTORE POINT.
4. Restart your computer
5. Run disk defrag, again it is under system tools
6. Restart your computer
7. Run error-checking (click my computer->right click your C drive and go to properties->click the tools tab). Check both boxes and restart the computer

See if that helps. I realize this is remedial stuff, but if you don't have a virus and it was fine a month ago, more than likely you just need to clean the system.

I add something above.

go to system properties hit remote and disable all remote assistance. click advance tab, hit performance and select adjust for best performance on the visual effect tab. then hit advance and change your page file. move it to another partition if you have one and set it to 4096 for both min and max. on the startup tab disable auto restart. make sure that system restore is only running on the c drive.

on the desktop tab in display properties. hit customized desktop and disable the desktop cleaning wizard

I add something above.

then hit advance and change your page file. move it to another partition if you have one and set it to 4096 for both min and max.

Another drive, not another partition. That is overworking your drive if it is just on another partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom