Slowdown - Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downloaded it.. I have 384 MB memory (56% used), 1549MB free, 499MB used. Does that help? Anything else i need to know? No malware.

Again, sorry for not replying sooner. I'm only here in the morning or late at night.

Anyway. It's coming up as I suspected. 384MB is an odd amount to have in 4 DIMMs (modules). The easiest way to account for that figure is 128MB x 3, which would imply the fourth 128MB module is bad. This is just a theory, so let's test it.

Ok, we need to know exactly how many modules and how large they are. To do this, download CPU-Z. The download link is in the upper left corner of the site. Download the file, unpack to any folder in your computer, and execute the program. It takes a brief moment to gather all your system info. Once the main window shows up, you'll see a lot of info about your computer. I need you to tell me the following things:

1) On the "Memory" tab, tell me the "Type", "Size" and "Channels #".

2) On the "SPD" tab, select each "Slot #" in the dropdown box (upper left), and tell me "Module Size" and "Max Bandwidth" for each case. Do this for every Slot #.

We'll then compare this to your actual memory configuration, but for the time being, just look for this info.

OK. Problem is, the recommended download in Tweakguides apparently took up so much space that my PC was hardly moving at all!!
I uninstalled the TuneUp part & that got me back to where i was.

It seems that i have only limited space for downloads under the circumstances. Since my PC is not intolerably slow it looks like i'll have to wait til i can get a tech in again to remedy the problem...

I don't know what you downloaded from Tweakguides. Uninstall it completely, we don't need it. CPU-Z is a very small application, around 1MB, so it shouldn't be a problem.

its a 2 mb pdf file, if that takes up too much space on your hard drive your pc is from about 1992 and time to buy a new one.

I don't think it's that old (it's refurbished anyway, i got it in 2004), but if it is, it's suited my needs perfectly well. Except for not accessing certain websites that i have no need to get into, it works as well as the University library computers.

k, i was being kind of sarcastic, really though, we can't tell you what your exact problem is, this dude is being nice & gonna waste time trying to help you for likely no solution, so i recommend a guide you can go over yourself to help yourself, if you truly are that screwed on hard drive space go to add & remove programs & remove programs don't need & then you should figure it out.

what browser u have? windows updated? all kinds of little things man.

Replikant said:
16.5 GB free space. That's good, no?

16.5GB = 16,500MB (aprox, no smart replies), so yes, it's more than enough. Download CPU-Z and look for those details :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom