Slow Windows Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthRealm1000

Beta member
Hi, I'm new and this is my first post.
I'm having a problem with Windows Xp; the problem is that it has a slow startup and performance. When I'm browsing in the internet and I open other program it slows down and sometimes freezes and I have had to unplugged it. Then, I turn it on, it gets slow loading programs and when I want to open my browser it takes like 5 minutes to open the browser. So, I hope someone helps me with this issue.

Or just run msinfo32 from the run line. Then you don't have to download anything.

The first thing is to determine if you have any infections on the PC. First run a full malwarebytes scan (free to download, just google it) and a scan with your latest virus program (most people prefer microsoft security essentials, AVG and Avast!, again all free and you can google the name).

Onces all of those are run, you clean what infections are found and you can run a full scan with these two programs and not come up with one infections come back and tell us if the performance is reasonable. If not we can go the next step and look at your system settings.

512MB is sort of the minimum for XP to run well so you should be OK in that respect. Follow Lex's advice and make sure you don't have any bugs loose in your system. Once you have done that we can guide you in reigning in your startup items.

Agree 100% with aikbix, CCleaner lets you do multiple cleanup utilities at once and has a registry option in it to clean up your registry. As far as the Ram goes, 512 will run xp moderately, however by the description it sounds like your opening multiple programs at once, upgrading Ram isn't expensive and you can tell the difference in speed, also do you know what processor you currently have in your system? For example I'm currently running Windows 7 professional- 4g of ram- on a dual core processor, when I go to launch my virtual software my Ram goes to 73% and my processor caps at 100%, making my computer extremely slow until everything loads/I restart the computer.

P.S. If your interested in the ram possibility, newegg is a great computer website, however make sure you research your motherboard to find compatible ram or if the board can take it. Hope this helped.
-Roar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom