Slow Start Up, Low Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glueeater

Solid State Member
So, I tried installing NOD32 Antivirus. This might have been mistake number one. After I restarted, it gave me an error about something32.dll. My computer said I had to shut down in one minute. I started up today, took 5+ minutes on the logon screen where it says "Windows Starting Up". Then, after a good 5 minutes my desktop loads. I uninstall NOD32. I try open IE, nothing. I can open other explorer windows (My Documents, etc.) but if I try to go to the Internet from there, it just freezes. So, then my McAfee AV, says I don't have enough disk space or memory for it to run. I run AVG, yes I was going to uninstall some AVs after I got NOD32 working, AVG free finds no viruses. I try running System Restore and it says it cannot protect my computer. I have 512 mb RAM, and about 26.1 gigs left on my hdd. Most of my programs are telling me I am low on memory. NOTHING is running. What should I do? Just format and reinstall Windows?

Well, it was going to be 3. But right now I have 2, is that bad? AVG and McAfee running together. I'm thinking about uninstalling both and downloading ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

Odd thing just happened, I left it on the logon screen for 10+ minutes and it loaded desktop and programs just fine. I thought it might have fixed itself, dumb me, and restarted. Well, now its slow again, I had chance to system restore right there :(

I'll post my running processes now:

svchost.exe <-This seems to be on there 5+ times.
SMAgent.exe
Mpfservice.exe
Msssrv.exe
taskmgr.exe
ati2vxx.exe <- 2 present.
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
ctfmon.exe
gcasServ.exe
atiptaxx.exe
qttask.exe
jusched.exe
realsched.exe
Msscli.exe
System
System Idle Processes

Theres more that are for Mcafee, like updates and control centers, as well as for AVG. Theres also one for StyleXP and Protowall.

I have to go for a second. Will edit in a second, theres a lot.

I dont know, what does it read? Go to msconfig and and go to startup and disable everything but your antivirus....reboot and see if thats faster

start, run, type msconfig. go to the last tab which is startup, click diable all, then reboot..before you do that, are all the boxes on the left check marked? ok, now reboot.

running 2 antivirus software at once is a recipie for trouble. Uninstall the one you dont like, and keep your favourite.

Well, I'm in the process of waiting for my computer to boot, I MUST wait at least 30 minutes or else it won't run properly, something about low memory. Gah. Could it me my RAM or is Windows just messed up? I'll do the msconfig once I can get on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom