slow, slow computer, now crashing again

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbp

Baseband Member
Hello everyone,
Simple question, too simple for these boards probably. My friend's computer crashed few months ago, she had windows re-installed and now the same is happening again. She isn't a technocrat. She doesn't 'build' or any of the other complex procedures featuring on these boards. Exchanges emails, listens to uploaded music and occasionally surfs the net. She has Norton installed. What is she doing to introduce 'viruses'?
Barb

I would think it is a virus. She had the crash and reinstall a few months ago. That is more than enough time for an infection to be introduced back into the system. Especially using Norton whose detection rate is below average compared to others out there.

Now if thats the case what are the chances of the same virus and/or the same symptoms?
JUst curious and the best person to ask would be you mak.

EDIT: I'm stealing your image location for the rep star haha

The chances of the same virus and/or symptoms can actually be great. The reason being people are a creature of habit. As such they dont take caution after they have been infected and think that cause they cleaned the system they are safe. Not realizing that the same behavior will still net them the same results. Like clicking links on your Facebook page cause it was psoted by a "friend" not realizing that their page was hijacked. Or opening that email cause it was sent from a friend or is a chain mail.

Even simple little things like that can cause issues to reoccur. Especially with the "listens to uploaded music" aspect. How do you know if the file uploaded was legit? Who is to say that it isnt infected? With the way these virus writers have gotten being able to infect a flash image, i wouldnt doubt they got infections with music files as well. If you dont know the source dont trust it. Either that or make sure it is scanned first.

The chances of the same virus and/or symptoms can actually be great. The reason being people are a creature of habit. As such they dont take caution after they have been infected and think that cause they cleaned the system they are safe. Not realizing that the same behavior will still net them the same results. Like clicking links on your Facebook page cause it was psoted by a "friend" not realizing that their page was hijacked. Or opening that email cause it was sent from a friend or is a chain mail.

Even simple little things like that can cause issues to reoccur. Especially with the "listens to uploaded music" aspect. How do you know if the file uploaded was legit? Who is to say that it isnt infected? With the way these virus writers have gotten being able to infect a flash image, i wouldnt doubt they got infections with music files as well. If you dont know the source dont trust it. Either that or make sure it is scanned first.

That basically sums it all up, I mean I'm so paranoid about downloading music now I use a converter for youtube videos to turn them into an mp3 file. I use AVG free and Ive been fine with it , aswell as adblock. I don't open any dodgy emails or faceboook pages and I've been fine.

Thanks for all advice which confirms what I have told her. Constantly opening emails with 'joke' attatchments. I'll alert her to the music etc... but expect it will happen again and again and again.
Barb

Hey, for general speed issues. there is a program you can buy at any retail store electronics section. It's like "PC Repair" or something like that, super cheap, about $20. if it's not a virus, that will speed up your computer.

Also, setting cookies to clear after each internet session will help immensely. And routinely defragging your computer at least once a month will do wonders as well.

You would be better off using CCLeaner, MSCleanup and more built in tools than using this PC Repair software. I know of it. I see it everyday at my job. I have actually convinced people not to buy it. It does nothing. Nothing that will help your system at all. You can run the software exactly the second you are done running it the first time and it will still report that improvements can be made. That is not software you want that always reports that things can be done instead of fixing them the first time. They want to make money by thinking you need the software when you can get more free software to do a much better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom