Slow PC - Help, it's driving me mad!!! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Smile Slow PC

I have downloaded all the list of things you suggested, baronvongogo, except Backlight - I can't get the site, it says it's not found. I'm now going to run each one & see if anything is better after that. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

ok fixed the link. You still have a lot of processes you need to get rid of, 60 is far too many. Take a screen shot like I suggested in an earlier message.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

F-Secure BlackLight 2.2.1042 Beta

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 07-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Slow PC

Thanks for the fixed link, I'll do that one now, all others have been done. It doesn't seem to be labouring quite so much to open things but is still taking longer than I expect.
I still can't understand how it is telling me I have 480 MB RAM when I go into My Computer/properties, when I should have 1 GB. Is there another way to see how much RAM you have in the PC? By the way, my start up menu has nothing in it at all.
I have a copy of the processes running and have tried to attach it to this thread but it's telling me that it's too big and it won't do it. What do I do now?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Follow these instructions carefully

Download ALL 10 programs and update if needed.

Ad Aware SE Personal Free

Ad-aware Messenger Service Plugin

Ad-Aware VX2 Cleaner Plug-In 2.0

Spybot Search and Destroy Free

Windows Defender 2 Beta

Follow these steps

Delete the prefetch folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch, this folder will come back on next reboot.

Delete all cookies and temporary internet files in the control panel, Internet Options.

Go to Start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, disable everything except your antivirus, Firewall, click apply, don¡¦t reboot yet.

Download Msconfig Cleanup below

Msconfig Cleanup

Run Msconfig Cleanup after you unchecked the items you were told to uncheck and recheck, click "Select All", then click "Clean up Selected", then click "Quit". Make sure your antivirus and firewall are not checked.

Now run each Spyware program 1 by 1. Running all 3 at the same time will slow most systems down.

When each program has finished scanning, remove everything.

Now go to the recycle bin and delete everything that is in it.

Then run CCleaner „² make sure you run the Cleaner section of Windows and Applications and then the Registry Cleaner. Make a backup if you wish while running the Registry Cleaner when it asks you.

When finished with the scans, reboot, and go into Safe Mode and run these scans again, remove everything they find, and then reboot back into Windows in normal mode.

Then run HiJackthis!

Save the log, copy and paste the log on
Do not attach the log, copy and paste always. This will make things go much faster.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie

i would just say that one of ur sticks just burned up.. its that simple

This happened to me, seems as tho it overheated

Apparently u said one of ur sticks isnt showing.. well if it isnt than its not working, therfor making computer slower than usual
Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yes, besides the profusion of processes you have running there is certainly a issue with the ram not reporting correctly.
When you first turn the computer on your bios should perform a check on the ram, does it detect the whole 1gb then?

also try using a program like cpuz or everest home to check on what ram your system recognises.

Do you know if the full 1gb was being reported previously? or is it that you've just noticed that you only seem to have 480mb?
480mb is a bit of an odd number to be honest, if you had 1gb in two dimms and one of them wasn't working for any reason then your system should report 512mb ram.
Intel core I7 920
6GB OCZ platinum 1600
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 07-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Slow PC

I have had the side off my tower & checked the RAM - it's pushed in well and the My Computer/properties still reads 480 MB instead of 1 gb. Think I may have to change it as it's probably faulty. Don't think I can complain to the chap who fitted it for me, as it was a while ago now & it was working ok at first.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

32mb is used for your onboard video. as talldude said your mobo might not support 1 gig
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Slow PC

After I had the upgrade it was working fine, it only seems to have really slowed down over the past few months & it used to say 1 gb, so I don't know what's the matter with it now. I didn't notice how much was on each stick when I checked them but I did notice that one stick was thinner than the other. Maybe I should have another look & see what it says on them, as I agree with you that 480 MB is a wierd number to show.
The other problem is - If there are 59 processes running & that constitutes a lot, how can I get them down to a reasonable number?
I only have the normal things loaded on my system, no wierd & wonderful software that takes up all the space or resources.

Closed Thread