slow login

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
I have an hp 6910p laptop. The issue started about 2 months ago. the user wanted the machine reimaged (os reinstalled) to fix slowness. The machine worked fine for about a month and then it started to get slow login. The control alt delete screen would come up right away but then it would hang when loading the desktop. i made the following registry and group policy changes. (these machines are encrypted with a product called safeguard easy)

1.Disable GINA using the following procedure.
Create:
HKLM\Software\Utimaco\SGLogon\
GinaDllRepair=0 (DWORD Value)

Edit if necessary:
HKLM\Software\Utimaco\SGLogon\
OriginalGina=MSGINA.DLL

Edit:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\
CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
GinaDll=MSGINA.DLL

2. Turn off Fast Logon Optimization, by changing the following policy setting "enable":

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

After these changes, the control alt delete screen does not show up right away. the machine gets caught up on applying computer settings for about 2 minutes. then after putting in the user name and password the desktop loads quickly. So it seems the slowness moved from one side of the control alt delete screen to the other. I have check the system and application logs in event viewer and there is nothing out of the ordinary in there.

I am guessing you've already tried simple things like defragging? And try running a chkdsk, followed by a repair install if needed.

As well as spyware/malware scans, making sure that the user profile isnt corrupted, or that there isnt driver conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom