Slow computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyje69

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I am the pc/network tech for the local public library. Just before that Update 1 rollup came out from microsoft, most of our computers (Dell's running Windows 2000) have been very slow. Opening e-mails, clicking reply or reply to, norton antivirus (corporate 7.5) pegging the cpu at 99% and when you try to run live update you get the message that "live update is being run by another product". If Norton is not pegging out at 99%, then it lets you run live update but then it hangs right at "Getting product information". We have applied the Plug and Play hotfix from microsoft and the Office Hotfix to help with the Update 1 rollup. Some of these computers have the Update rollup 1 and some didn't.

After we installed the office hotfix most computers work better for a day or so then the bog down again.

Any ideas?

We can update Norton by manually downloading then installing the definition files.

Thanks for your time,
Kyje69

just a thought, but do you have anti spyware? seems you might be running into something there... Also, reconfigure the machines IE settings to only allow for 50-100 mbs of cache space. That will inhibit the need for IE to grow unchecked. Now, I'm not sure if you using it or not, but I thought I would suggest it in case you are...
Also, have you called norton to have them see if they can help you with what is happening?
And what is Update 1 rollup? I'm confussed there.

In Microsoft released a Update Rollup 1 through Windows Update that took the place of SP5. It 'causes issues with Word not being able to save to floppies and what not. It also 'causes problems with many other things.

We run Adaware and spyware blaster.

I think that I found the fix for the Norton problem. But still no idea for the system slowness.

The e-mail slowness appears in Outlook and in webmail.

Thanks,
Kyle

Windows 2000 is now discontinued but the final update released for it was the update rollup to SP4 not 1 are you sure your fully updated?

Yeah we are fully updated. We have SP4 installed.

Microsoft Released Update Rollup 1 for SP4.

That is what I am talking about.

Thanks,
Kyle

ok, that's a bit clearer... I have win2k running office 2003 and just installed the "Rollup package". My systems are not running any different now.
I don't like Norton for it's system performance issues anyway, but that doesn't really explain your problem. I'd suggest you download http://www.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorerNt.zip and run that. Watch the process that is chewing up the system and see what it's doing. might give you a window on the issue...

Good luck

Solution?

A possible solution to both the Norton AV hogging the CPU and the overall system slowness seems to be caused by Norton Liveupdate.

You must download the latest version of Liveupdate from Norton's site. Remove Live Update only, not Norton Antivirus.
Reboot the pc.
Install the live update update that you just downloaded.
Now try to update Norton Antivirus.

It seems to help us.

Thanks for all of your help.

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom