Slow computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

galic

Baseband Member
my computer is running very slow, (windows XP home) some times it takes over 2 minutes to switch/download web pages. Also, i got hesitation while plying Guild Wards game, witch i did not have before.
I got a Q6600 CPU and 2 gigs of RAM, HD is half emty (250 gigs) + other 80 gigs.
My Spy Sweeper and Anti virus (Kaspersky) check OK.
No other programs are running at the same time and the CPU is showing only 2 to 5% use, the temps are under45 degrees.
Check with Verizon and my internet speed is fine, but still, connecting to the internet takes over 1 1/2 minutes. They claim that it is my computer.
Any ideas?. Please help.

your router?

Sorry about your lost. You gave me a link?? hm.
Verizon checked my router they say it is Ok, even when i suggested that i thougth that it was the problem. What am i suppoused to do?

give your modem a good hard reset, see if that does anything.

I did, about 21 times. Verizon people also participate on that, at the end they claim that their line and connection are working normally.

Router ≠ modem. The modem would most likely be what Verizon checked, unless you are renting/leasing a gateway from them. The router would be the device between the modem (connected to the incoming line) and you computer.

The above suggestions were trying to say to reboot your modem and/or router. Unplug them for at least 30 seconds, and then plug them back up. Verizon should have had you do this as part of the troubleshooting.

Peter's suggestion was to reset the modem/router to factory presets. There is usually a button in the back that you have to use a pen or something similar to push to do this. Unless you know what the proper settings are, I would suggest accessing Verizon's website and printing off the pages the explain them first... unless you just want to call their tech support and have them walk you through it all again.

If you are using a router, trying taking it out of the loop and running directly to your modem. That would rule it out if it is not the problem.

Oh, and your email is not accepting messages from Tech-Forums, or the address you have on your profile is incorrect, as I received a bounced email about this thread.

get a video card

Get a video card? my card is aVerto 6600gt (one of the best for gaming)

Router ≠ modem. The modem would most likely be what Verizon checked, unless you are renting/leasing a gateway from them. The router would be the device between the modem (connected to the incoming line) and you computer.

The above suggestions were trying to say to reboot your modem and/or router. Unplug them for at least 30 seconds, and then plug them back up. Verizon should have had you do this as part of the troubleshooting.

Peter's suggestion was to reset the modem/router to factory presets. There is usually a button in the back that you have to use a pen or something similar to push to do this. Unless you know what the proper settings are, I would suggest accessing Verizon's website and printing off the pages the explain them first... unless you just want to call their tech support and have them walk you through it all again.

If you are using a router, trying taking it out of the loop and running directly to your modem. That would rule it out if it is not the problem.

Oh, and your email is not accepting messages from Tech-Forums, or the address you have on your profile is incorrect, as I received a bounced email about this thread.

First of all; yes i do have problems with my e-mail. Sorry about that, i have been trying to fix it , but no luck so far.
About the modem. Verizon check it, it was reseted, unpluged and reinstalled again by Verizon, still the problem persist, or so ithink, if it is the modem.
I have no router.

6600 is no where near the best for gaming anymore. Not with the 8XXX, 9XXX and the 200 series out now. The 6600 is lower than my 8600GT that i have now. That can barely handle some of the newer games.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/

Ranked number #91 on this list. I wouldnt say it is one of the best. My card is at #54 and it hurts playing some games.

6600 is no where near the best for gaming anymore. Not with the 8XXX, 9XXX and the 200 series out now. The 6600 is lower than my 8600GT that i have now. That can barely handle some of the newer games.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/

Ranked number #91 on this list. I wouldnt say it is one of the best. My card is at #54 and it hurts playing some games.

Still, i was playing "Gild Wars" without a hich till the begining of the year. I know there are better cards now, but the 6600 can play this game without trouble. So, its no the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom